Train set

Not the most awe inspiring photo at 6am on a dull dreary Yorkshire morning and having to spend 12hrs at work playing with a train set, albeit a large one. Luckily I brought my MP2 with me. Very near to Sherburn in Elmet airfield so was surprised to find I was just on the very edge of the NFZ umbrella.

11 Likes

Nice shots Brian, just gave me an idea you saying sherburn, might pop into my old stomping ground the bike cafe when it’s a bit warmer :+1:

Spent many a happy time at Squires Cafe (aka Milkbar). Set off numerous times from there on the Ironbutt challenge.
Riding 1000 miles non stop, except for fuel, within 24hrs raising money for the poppy appeal. Great times, great friends.

1 Like

Wow good one,

I started going there when it was the old milkbar, the days of the fizzy

Didn’t have the same appeal once Harry n Sue sold it, but we still pop up in the car as no bike now :unamused:

Last summer, same place. I like the Drax trains ;o)

3 Likes

Nice … what’s your role on the railways then? My eldest is a trackman with a degree in Computer Science but he’s loved the railway since he was tiny.

Now, this isn’t me being all “drone police” but actually wanting to know … what are the restrictions on flying over train tracks? I read a tweet a few weeks back to do with the Flying Scotsman and the idiots near the line… basically the tweet lambasted the idiots and then threw in for good measure “drones aren’t allowed near the tracks”. This was from the National Railway Museum.

Glad your asking that as i did wonder myself :+1:

1 Like

Aaah, so it was you I was sent out by the central command centre to apprehend was it? It was reported by the signaller that there was a drone flying over the sidings, he thought it was illegal, but after appraising him and the command centre of the drone code no further action was needed. But I went out anyway in the hope of a chinwag with a fellow flyer.

2 Likes

Simple answer.
Drones are only restricted as per the ANO (air navigation order) and Drone code. IE. Not closer than 50m to a building or infrastructure not under your control. There were a few cases where drones were seen to be hovering in front off and following alongside certain trains, usually the Flying Scotsman because it is unarguably the most famous steam train in the world.
My job up until yesterday was to attend incidents (fatalities, crashes, bridge bashes, broken rails derailments, and anything that stopped or had the potential to stop trains). As a Rail Incident Officer I had

to get things moving again as safely and quickly as possible. Ive accepted a job in York operations centre as a signaller and my first official day is today, tho paradoxically I’m sat in Milford signalbox signalling trains. The big worry was the overhead lines, they carry 25 thousand volts and the electric can arc 9 feet to zap you, so nobody wants to encourage people to get too near using unauthorised vantage points. I always stay 10 feet away!!!

3 Likes

I’ll just fly over these then lol

Lot of respect for the job you did :clap:, in my old job i saw first hand the aftermath of what trains can do, having my PTS/ICI i understand where your coming from.
Good luck in your new role

4 Likes

Good to know “from the inside” so to speak. Thanks @Brian

Thank you. I was a brilliant job, but luckily I kept up my signalling qualifications and when I was offered the chance to go into York control centre, it was too good to miss.
So I’ve gone from pulling signal levers to the pushing a mouse in the most modern computerised system. From dealing with one train at a time to 25 at a time.

4 Likes

Is it true what Tom Shapre said in Vintage Stuff, that with only a few point changes you could bring the whole network to grinding halt?

Not really.
We have workarounds that allow us to keep the network running. If we have, say a points failure, then before our engineers can fix them, part of my job was to go out and operate them from the ground to the position that the signaller needs them in to get trains moving again.
Most of the infrastructure such as points and signals are monitored remotely using sensors which tell us if there’s an issue. Covert cameras abound, disguised as rocks, which are placed at trespass areas and send pictures direct to control centre.
We have special keys and tools we insert into the points motors to wind the points into the correct position for the train route. The biggest fear is an attack on the signalling centre because it houses, or is in the process of housing, the signalling from Kings cross to Edinburgh and including most of South, East and West Yorkshire. Hence there is a small arsenal of weapons stored nearby ready, the whole building is as secure as a prison, even topped with razor wire and huge gates that look like they hold dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.
Even I have a back up mouse ready to plug in if one fails

1 Like

And the hand gel to combat chemical attack :wink:

Lol. Too true

And to incidents like this?!!! (North Circular Road, London, early 1990s)ncr ncr3 ncr4

1 Like

It’s terrible disaster:sob::sob:

1 Like

In the first picture is that a person still in the seat?

No it’s a dummy we used to show the positions of deceased. The car also had gas bottles carried in the boot