Trying out cinematic bars

This must be why I rendered the video in iPhone resolution to create the bars.

1 Like

Hmmm … yeah … YT says the video is 2560x1182 = 19.5:9 … same as Chris’s phone.

So … it’s not really “16:9 video with cinematic bars” … it’s 19.5:9 video (which plays back with bars on a 16:9 screen) … which explains things.

2 Likes

Should I be using this one Dave?

1 Like

Think the penny has dropped. Using the resolution I used will play with the bars if it doesn’t fit the screen but as it’s made for iPhone resolution and played on iPhone the bars won’t be there. So I have to render it out at 16.9 but crop the bars in. That way the overall size will still be 16.9.

1 Like

Depends what you’re after, really. Not necessarily wrong or right. :wink:

I’m a Davinci Resolve user … so things will be different in any case.

But, as I understand it, “Cinematic Bars” are something applied to (default) 16:9 output that has the bars top/bottom leaving the required format visible.

Whereas, your method is just rendering the video at that required format without any bars.

For example … in DR …

The footage is 16:9, the output is set to 16:9 …

But, within that project I can blank top and bottom (to varying amounts) …

… which immediately applies the bars … but the 16:9 output is unchanged.

Frame grab …

I’ve seen this used in TV productions, but not all the way through. Used to add impact to certain scenes, and then returns to default 16:9.

Obviously, via your workflow, it’s going to be fixed all the way through.

And, to be honest, I’m nowhere near artistic enough to be able to think of a time with drone footage that you might want to switch.
Possibly if you are creating a piece that’s mixing hand-held footage with drone footage … having all drone footage within cinematic bars might highlight it … or something.

2 Likes

One other advantage I’ve found by using the bars is using key frames to move the clip from the top at the start of the clip to the bottom at the end of the clip. It seems to make it more cinematic by still having the movement of the drone going up but keeping the house more central all the way through the clip.

View video below.

1 Like

Great work :ok_hand:

Cheers mate :+1:

1 Like