Understanding Flight Zones in London

Can’t see the commercial angle on the videos.

I didn’t suggest these videos were taken for a commercial purpose. My comment regarding that is the city can be accessed for commercial flights obviously with the correct permissions. I even saw one myself by Blackfriars Bridge a couple of months ago over a construction site.

Post a question on one of the YouTube videos, Appears pretty responsive to replying.

1 Like

Good edit though.

2 Likes

I have just waiting for reply

In the comments when someone asks about permissions they reply:
“Wouldn’t recommend lol it’s the only time I’ve ever had someone threaten to call police on me :rofl:
So I think they just chance it!

Does anyone know why the drone no fly zone that was previously over the City of London (R158) seems to have expanded/overlapped that of R157 Hyde Park now on the DJI fly maps? I’ve previously flown near the Oxo Tower between the two NFZs within regulations but under this “new” expanded area it seems like that won’t be possible anymore. The area is visible on DJI app, UAV forecast but not Altitude angel.

Even NATS UK has that airspace as NOT being a NFZ so why would DJI have it down as one?

1 Like

Who knows :man_facepalming:t2:

DJI are a law unto themselves when it comes to completely made up, totally out of date, and utterly ridiculous flight restrictions :pensive: (I’m being polite here too)

It’s why so many people modify their DJI drones to remove them. Any the main reason people move to Autel and other brands.

Welcome to GADC @Ilkaynas :wave:t2:

I wonder if they put this in place for the Coronation weekend? It will be interesting to see if it’s still there after the bank holiday?

1 Like

Hi all,

I have just used Drone Assist to get permission to fly my Mini 2 SE in EGLW London Heliport Zone. The area I am flying is near Barons Court underground station.

Is this a common thing people do to fly drones in London?

Many thanks

Getting permission ? Quite often yes, London has many many areas with more often blankets of restrictions than not but obviously can also depend on in & around or where in London you intend to fly.

Moved your post to a discussion that may help, have a read :+1:

1 Like

Hey! I want to take nice video/pictures of London (london eye, big ben, tower bridge). I only have mi Operator ID and Flyer ID for my DJI Mini 4 pro. By submitting my request to NAST in the “Request to fly a Drone or Model Aircraft” option, and preparing a fly planning to share with them in some kind of doc, it’s enough? Or I do need more permissions. If you share the details, I will really appreciate it!

Big Ben is a bell inside of the Great Clock of Westminster, you won’t see it.

lol. I know. I meant to take shots nearby the parliament, London eye or tower bridge.

If you fly downstream (east) of Tower Bridge you don’t need anything from NATS, but you must not cross the bridge.

Some other informations in the link.

Moved your post to a discission that covers London flight zones, pull up a chair and have a read

Ask the experts themselves… :+1:

Use the drop down box and select ’ Flight Request (Not yet submitted)

https://nsf.nats.aero/contact-us/

But that website is talking nonsense isn’t it?

It says; " You will also need a GVC if you want to fly a sub 250g drone outside of designated drone zones in London." and " You must also seek permission from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and [National Air Traffic Services (NATS) for each specific flight you intend to undertake."

That’s not true is it (except in specific zones)?

I was wondering that myself. I thought maybe they meant A2CoC? But I don’t know.

The whole page is full of odd remarks - almost looks like it was written by AI.

1 Like