Uninvolved people in cars and buildings

Apologies if this has been covered before and be gentle, this is my first post.
Currently getting my head around the new regulations circa Jan 1st 2021 as I’m doing my A2 C of C on the way to a GVC. Finally think I’m on my way to understanding them but I have recently come across some contradictory info that I would love the knowledgeable members on here to help clarify…
This concerns a legacy Mavic Air 2 (907g) that I wish to fly in the A2 Open category.
Once I attain my A2CofC I will be able to fly 50m away from uninvolved people. Are people in their houses (or other buildings generally)or cars classed as uninvolved people? Do they become ‘uninvolved’ as soon as they step out of their door or drive their car within 50m of my drone. I heard that within 50m of a loft space would be against the regulations because an uninvolved person ‘may’ be in it. Do we have to see the uninvolved person or just assume they may be there.
Pippa

1 Like

Hi @PippaJo, the best advice on this comes directly from the CAA in their guidance document CAP722:

See the bit at the bottom of page 43.

Essentially, if they are in a vehicle or building you have to be confident they will stay there, and that while inside they are not endangered.

3 Likes

And welcome to GADC!

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Totally minor and pedantic comment - pretty sure your MA2 does not weigh 907g :grinning:

Re your examples, I’d personally not be bothered about someone in the loft space, but would think twice about someone in a car. But also I’d not be a stickler for the rules in any case.

1 Like

So in a theoretical case such as inspecting the guttering and roof of my semi-detached house, legally, if the neighbours are in their houses they are protected by their structure. Obviously there are GDPR and general good manners to consider like informing everyone in neighbouring properties and respect for noise etc.
It seems a bit of a grey area, one statement says that separation distances still apply and then another says that if you are certain that the structure will protect them, it’s OK. Too early for any legal arguments in court about this yet I presume

Sorry 570g

Legally, nobody knows. My A2 CofC course recommended keeping the 50m distance from buildings because of the risk that the drone might fly through a window. That felt OTT to me, but that’s just a personal view.

If you can hang on until 2023 and can afford a C2 drone then it will get much easier, pop it in low-speed mode and ta-da, 5m separation is fine.

Until then, it’s just down to individual judgement / guesswork :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for your answers and pointing me in the direction of that part of the CAP722, that’s the bible for us.
As for a C2 drone when they’re available, can’t wait but having only just bought this one I need to earn a few pennies before they come out. Keep hoping for the retrospective classification from DJI but that’s not going to be good for their sales so personally I can’t see it happening, as it is they can always blame the CAA or EASA for not allowing it. Going to be a lot of second hand drones when the new class ones are available. Mavic Air 3 coming soon???
Many thanks @kvetner

2 Likes

You’d have to inform each and every household to stay indoors while flying is taking place and inform them when you’ve finished. The risk is that someone pops out to see what the noise is or decides to take dog for a walk, and of course you’d have to take account of any visitors or delivery drivers that may arrive. This is what you’d need to do to abide strictly by the rules to avoid being fines and making sure everybody remains uninvolved.

1 Like

ask :wink:

Ask is probably a better, nicer word.

2 Likes

If you want to fly over uninvolved people wherever they are (except crowds) you’ll have to swap your Mavic Air 2 for a Mini 2…

1 Like

Even then Article 241 would still apply. Just something to be wary of.

I seem to remember that was mentioned somewhere when I did my A2CofC… :wink:

Greetings PippaJo,

There was, actually, a question on this when I did my A2 CofC exam 2 weeks ago. It centred around what you would do if you were tasked to do a gutter survey on a semi-detached house and the owner of the attached house refused to let you fly near his house. Don’t know whether I got it right or not! I did get 2 questions wrong, but obviously don’t know which ones.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/_bmacjRO3Vs

3 Likes

Good video, much better informed than much of the discussion you get.

In other news, aircraft weighing 150 tonnes are still flying directly over your house every day, and 2 tonne cars with no collision avoidance technology are still passing at speed next to pedestrians at separation distances less than 2m thousands of times every day.

11 Likes