Useful ideas for Mavic Mini owners

Not really mods but I have improved my enjoyment of the MM with a few tweaks.
To aid VLS flying I have used black felt tip pen to black the front half. It is much easier to see which way it’s facing at a good distance. I had thought of red, which is great in good light conditions or blue which is better in low light. Black is good in any light as it provides the greatest contrast.
I kept forgetting to take the gimbal cover off so added a red ribbon to the cover which is a permanent reminder that it is in place.
I added a strobe behind the IRs but on concrete the strobe was sat on the ground so not wanting the clip on legs, as I usually hand launch and land I added 4 x plastic ‘legs,’ which push into the drone’s screw recesses and only weigh 3gms.
I altered the Flymore case as usual to accept the drone with prop guards in place as normal but replaced the raised hard bump with soft foam.
I find the sticks too long for best control and also needed to remove them and refit every flight. Not only that but the case was too tight with them left on. I cut off the stick top and then drilled out to same size as thin section of stick to allow the stick top to go down to the bottom. This is the perfect working length for me and the controller now fits perfectly in the case without taking the sticks off.
The Flymore case will not accept the UK charger plug so I stuck a rubber strip to locate it on top oh the charging/battery case and finally the charge leads and phone usb C adaptor fit in a little bag.
I only need to take the bag with shoulder strap anywhere I travel.
No doubt some may scoff at my changes as being unnecessary but they have made the whole flying experience so much better.

3 Likes

Or check the compass on the app ;o)

2 Likes

The clue is VLS! I don’t fly FPV so Visual Line of Sight is why recognition is important to me.
I don’t fly for the sake of flying but for videography.

:video_camera:

So you just point and hope? No reference to screen for composition/exposure ?

1 Like

How far out are you flying mate?

I’d have thought it would be difficult to even see the mini at any distance.

2 Likes

Been out playing tonight.

100m out 70m up, look down for an ev change (no back rocker), look up and the fucker could be anywhere.

3 Likes

As I said, I use it as a camera not as a toy. The furthest out I go is where I can see it which is about 80M at around 60M. The strobe makes a difference if you lose it for a second by looking away and at that distance the contrasting colours help with orientation. I try not rely on the screen for flying but just occasionally I will be forced to double check.
I do use the screen obviously when running a shot.

Please read my next post.

FPV then

1 Like

If it makes you feel happy or clever… Or whatever! :fire:

nice looking nails

Haha… Plastic from plant pot hanger actually…So there!

1 Like