Using a spherical panorama in a video

I couldn’t find anything on this topic, so apologies if this duplicates an earlier query.

Is it possible to render a panorama so that it can be viewed (panning and/or zooming) from within a video? Ideally I’d set a path for the pan/zoom to follow like the Ken Burns effect in iMovie. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Depends on what are you are using to edit

If its a Mac read on if not I cannot help

In FCP import your jpg pano (it will ask if you want to make the video 360, say no) Then in the timeline on the jpg you can add keyframes as normal and ken burns it or manual movements.

Probably similar in Windows stuff, but I have no knowledge

1 Like

Thanks, very helpful. I am indeed using an iMac, and it’s about time I moved on from iMovie. My search on the web lead to metadata injection and Python; I need something that works more intuitively.

Not necessarily easy - but I’ve managed this in Davinci Resolve (all platforms), as an exercise in learning/using the 3D functionality in Fusion (included in Resolve).

Managed this by rendering the jpg on a sphere and having the render camera positioned at the centre of the sphere … and then rotating the sphere or zooming the camera.
The resulting render appears in the normal video timeline seamlessly.

At a quick guess - and since I have only a little knowledge of 3D work in Fusion - I reckon I could achieve this in under 20 minutes.

That may seem a long time, but the Fusion setup work can be save and used again (in the same or another project) with a different jpeg in seconds.

Chances are you could achieve the same (perhaps more easily) using some other stand-alone 3D rendering software … render the resulting clip and import into your video editor.

iMovie allows Ken Burns effect on images too, I don’t know it it handles 360° spherical any smarter than “that’s a still image”

1 Like

I’ve tried and it doesn’t! Thanks …

1 Like

Ok so not my best work, but cobbled together in about 5 minutes

Mini 2 Panorama over my village, file is the 4096 × 2048 stitched straight from the Fly App so quality isn’t fantastic

Just be aware that the Mini 2 panoramas do not carry the best exif in the world so I used Exif Fixer, follow this guide here

2 Likes

I clearly tried wrong! I’ll give that a whirl. Cheers!

Use Exif Fixer on the Panorama first

1 Like

I have done that, but no apparent effect using iMovie (which was what I was talking about), and your video says ‘360 still in FCP’, so I guess we are talking at cross-purposes?

Useful tip nevertheless to fix the EXIF.

I achieve a similar effect for some of my videos , by using the Asteroid quickshot, then when editing, play it in reverse as an intro shot for the video.

Had a quick play with the method I described, above … (arm yourself with seasickness tablets) …

(Edit: updated version - improved rotation through weird angles when non-Euclidian geometry started to impact on keyframe validity.)

Original image in Kuula …

2 Likes