Video playback

Morning all,
Has anyone had the problem of being unable to playback video footage, when I try to play my video on VLC it opens the opening scene but will not play, if I move the time lime I can see the corresponding scene but no video.
As a “virgin” operator I’m hoping it’s something simple I am doing wrong.
Thoughts? (Or help)
Richard

1 Like

Which drone?
Which video settings?
What are specs of the SD Card?
Are you playing direct from the card or copying to your computer drive first?
Which computer OS?
Has this been OK previously but only just recently stopped playing?
etc … ?

Hi, thanks for replying, Mavic 2 pro with 4K and 29fps, I only got the drone on Tuesday and video has not worked correctly, I also do video camera photography using 4K and this is no problem. SD card is scandisk class 10 U3.
I have tried saving the files to “my videos” from the card with no success, I am on windows but not sure of O/S as not at home.
Should I drop it down from 4K to 1080

Your problem is probably the H.265 codec used by the M2P for 4k … that is processor intensive for older Windows PCs.

Download the free H.265 codec : Free Download HEVC (H.265) Codec for 4K/8K Video Playback

Also make sure you download the latest version of VLC.

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

Still no luck, this driving me mad now. I have a 4K Panasonic video camera of almost broadcast quality, this plays in VLC with no issues.

Does that create H.265 encoded files?

On the drone itself you can see if it’s recording in H.264 or H.265. Unless you’re shooting in D-Log I would stick it in 264 for ease. As @OzoneVibe said, H.265 can be hard on your machine.

If it’s already done in 265 you can transcode it using Handbrake or similar.

I had an issue with the mini 2 where I had turned it off before I had stopped recording.

If you put the card back in the drone and reconnect the phone/controller etc again it fixed it for me.

Upload one somewhere (wesendit) and maybe we can take a look.

This does not sound exactly like the issue I had, where I forgot to stop recording before turning the app/drone off and ended up with a video file that would not play in VLC. I just got a Knight Rider style progress bar in VLC and no images at all.

But this tool worked for me and may be worth a try.

http://djifix.live555.com/

1 Like

You must finalise the video recording when you finish the flight. This will happen when you STOP the recording. You can rectify this by putting the card back and switching the drone on and off. You could even record a short (few seconds) of video then stop it just to make sure.

1 Like

I can play the video with no issues on my iPad using a SD to lightning adaptor, I’m now looking to invest in a high spec laptop as mine is now a few years old.

M1 MacBook Air, or MBP if budget allows

Proper no brainier if your an Apple user already

M1 MacBook Air - nothing more to add.