Videos, to keep or not to keep?

Until recently I’ve saved every video I’ve taken with the Mini. They aren’t small files and have become a large, fast growing, chunk of my Onedrive 1TB storage. I took the decision to go through them all and delete the crap and I realised that most of the time when I’m flying, if I’m not taking photos then I’m recording video. There’s a lot of crap so I’m watching through them all, deleting most (XNView, Windows, is good for this).

Going forward I expect I’ll still record a lot but when I copy them off the SD card, delete the crap at that point. The SD card is 256GB and I only format that when needed, twice in the last year.

Is there good practice? Record all & delete or know when to record? Does recording impact battery life significantly?

There was a discussion on this not too long ago, can’t seem to find it now.

I always keep everything on a cheap £99 4TB USB drive. I mean, why not? :man_shrugging:

It will have zero effect on the battery.

1 Like

Because it won’t fit? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Multiple similar 4TB drives, for me. All camera/drone photos/video on duplicate drives. All stored in fireproof/waterproof/airtight box when not in use.

(Airtight - yeah - I must have used it when the air pressure was low - then last week when the air pressure was high, I struggled to open the thing! Still airtight, then. LOL!)

This was a recent similar thread on storage : SD Card, copying files to PC

2 Likes

Wait…

That thread was started by you too @Crackerjack :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

That was about the card and getting stuff onto the PC, this is phase 2, where to go from there and whether it’s worth keeping everything :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. I manage the card with 2 BRU jobs. One to copy all files beginning DJI off the card, the second to rename any files beginning DJI to XDJI. Retention on the card without duplication on the PC.

It’s easier to keep things you don’t need than recover things you didn’t mean to delete.

:thinking:
I’m sure Confucius said just that.

1 Like

We never threw negatives away, so why throw video. Storage is so cheap, it’s the contingency that makes it more expensive :wink:

2 Likes

There were two other threads that may help:

1 Like

Thanks @facherty :blush:

I would suggest there are three types of footage. definitely keep, definitely discard and a huge amount of maybe. I would keep all of the maybe.
I’m just not sure where to keep my 40+ terabytes of old stuff safe and still be able to access it easily.
One day, my kids will have to go through it all to see if there’s anything valuable! :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah simple solution is to smash it straight onto the local storage and then from there onto the RAID-6 NAS which backs up automatically to cloud with rclone. If you are going to do any sorting then copy all files from that shoot to a new project folder first before sifting through. Never delete anything off the SD until it’s verified to be on the NAS. Storage is basically free these days.