Vlos / Evlos / Bvlos?

Does anybody here have permission to undertake EVLOS flights? Is it still a thing?
(I believe this extends a suitably certified Drone Pilots flight envelope to 1500m (Horizontal) and 500ft (Altitude).
I’ve found a few places online that offer EVLOS assessment.

If this is something that can still be done - I’ve just found my reason to sign up to get PFCO as a pre-req to EVLOS.

All of the literature I’ve read indicates that PFCO gives very little extra flight capability over hobbyist flying beyond the rules around congested areas being relaxed. With your PFCO hat on, night flying is restricted to 30minutes before Sun up and 30 minutes after Sun Down (Commercial Drone use requires PFCO as we all know)

I’m still reading / researching this subject, so forgive me if my questions are no longer relevant due to new regs, old regs and me misunderstanding what I’ve read so far.

I’m happy to pay to be trained and pay for additional insurance to be able to fly safely beyond what hobbyist status affords us - With the added bonus that I can work commercially :+1:
(I already have my own LTD company)
Thoughts?

1 Like

I looked into it as well as that and FPV without a spotter is pretty much what I’d be after.

You need permission from the CAA but they will not grant it until certain conditions are met.

Similar to a PFCO they ask for proof of competence which is the training from NQE and you need to submit an operations manual to show you can carry it out safely.

The permission needs to be renewed like a PFCO.

I’m not sure how easily they grant it to hobbyists but if your doing the training you are on a level footing with the PFCO holders. I’m guessing there might also be restrictions on where you can fly as well.

Not sure how it would tie in with hobbyist insurance but I’m sure someone would cover it.

I’ve no interest in flying commercially but some extra privileges as a hobbyist would be nice.

Let me know if you find out any more.

Perhaps we should drop the CAA and email and get their take on it.

I’m going to ring These Chaps tomorrow for more info :+1:

We’d be flying with a commercial hat on if we gained these permissions.

You can apply for permissions and exemptions without the commercial aspect.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Permissions-and-exemptions-for-drone-flights/

I’d imagine it would be hard without the proof of ‘Competency’ from PFCO?

1 Like

PfCO is the actual permission obtained and not the course.

You can do your practical flight assessment at an NQE and instead of submitting an operations manual for commercial operations, submit one and an OSC for the permission you want.

The PfCO course just gives you the required competency to apply to CAA for a PfCO but can be used for any other permission instead.

Even after passing the course you don’t have a PfCO untill the CAA grant it.

2 Likes

Right then, EVLOS isn’t as straight forward as hoped…

Extended Visual Line Of Sight operations relates to the operating method whereby the Remote Pilot in command relies on one or more Remote Observers to keep the unmanned aircraft in visual sight at all times, relaying critical flight information via radio and assisting the Remote Pilot in maintaining safe separation from other aircraft [manned or unmanned].

Short version - EVLOS requires remote observers and constant communication needs to be maintained with them and the Pilot - so not really relevant to single person businesses.

Oh and the cost?
£1729 to apply for permission :flushed:
and £185 yearly renewal.
And substantial justification would be required to accompany the application.

I’ve spoken to the CAA today, nice helpful people :), where they talked me through EVLOS :+1:
I’ve also spoken to a few NQE’s and they all said the same - you’d have to do PFCO 1st before applying for EVLOS permissions.

So, that’s EVLOS off the table for mortals then, however I am leaning toward gaining PFCO as an extra string to my bow - these chaps have a course with an online element www.3ic.co.uk for £790 + CAA submission cost - does that sound reasonable?
Anyhoo - hopes dashed for simple flight envelope enhancement. :man_shrugging:

And just for completeness…
BVLOS
UA intended for operation beyond visual range of the pilot will require an
approved method of aerial separation and collision avoidance that ensures
compliance with Rule 8 of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2007 (Rules for
avoiding aerial collisions)

So that’s beyond the capabilities of pretty much everyone until someone produces a drone that can integrate into Air Traffic Control systems…

However…

The Mavic 2 Enterprise has an ADS-B receiver which alerts you to nearby aircraft via the DJI GO app - so it’s possibly only a matter of time before DJI integrates an ADS-B TX too?

This could be done via a cellular network - in the same way an aftermarket GPS tracker does now, (I have one of these fitted to my M2 and it only weighs 20g and it runs on a single charge for 4-5 days.
That may change the landscape somewhat.

No.

No it does not…

But that’s only because GADC members can get an exclusive discount with 3iC :rofl:

Check out this thread in the Members Only category @DTH :wink:

2 Likes

Yaaay! Same company! I had a nice long chat with a chap called Bob - another highly qualified Helicopter Pilot turned NQE!

OLD article about BVLOS - Still interesting…