VLOS the new regulations... No more 500m

@Crackerjack 100% agree with you Andy. Photography is all about seeing the light and thats all our eyes see

Read all the way down to FPV, in fact you be better reading all of the code… that’s me ducking out of this conversation, I’ve warned everyone, do as you will, I am… ha ha… so I’m leaving this thread to you boys… Cheers

Where does it say this?

They never could be. VLOS rules always said, “unaided”. Very little has changed other than the CAA’s clarification of what you should do to comply with VLOS.

I can’t see drone manufacturers making special drones, without all the bells and whistles, for the UK market. Anyway, just because you can’t rely on them for VLOS orientation doesn’t mean you can’t use them at all.

You’ll be waiting a long time, I think. :grin:

By whom? I’m certainly not advocating non-compliance with the regulations, but the only time a flight is likely to come under close scrutiny is when there’s been a massive cock-up. And I expect the type of people most likely to make those cock-ups are those that are blissfully unaware of the regulations in the first place.

Oh, he’s gone. :laughing:

3 Likes

@Malcy

2. Always keep your drone or model aircraft in direct sight and make sure you have a full view of the surrounding airspace

You must be sure that you will be able to spot any hazards, in the air or on the ground, and avoid any collisions.

You must be able to see your drone or model aircraft clearly enough that you can tell which way it’s facing. This is so that you can steer and control it safely, even if something happens unexpectedly.

You must be able to see it without using:

• binoculars
  • a telephoto lens
  • electronic viewing equipment, such as a smart phone, tablet or video goggles

Using normal glasses and contact lenses is fine.

So having re-read the code and the above section in particular. I see absolutely no reference to not being able to use lights fitted to a drone to determine its orientation.

Next!!!

2 Likes

All I can say is good luck to my imaginary spotter when I’m flying my Emax Tinyhawk Freestyle quad. Based on that my maximum VLOS is less than 10ft.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Drone pilot pleads guilty to endangering historic aircraft

I agree with SeaHunter.
“ So having re-read the code and the above section in particular. I see absolutely no reference to not being able to use lights fitted to a drone to determine its orientation.”
There’s nothing in the code stating you cannot use the built in nav lights to determine which way it is facing. When I fly my mini 3 pro, if I can see two green lights flashing, I know it’s virtually facing me.

…and if you cant see 2 green lights flashing you have no idea of the orientation. Thats the problem.
There is only 1 situation there where you can positively confirm the orientation leaving all the rest as unknown.

With the way VLOS is becoming more relevant as per the regs and the court case, should we be more candid on what we post on YouTube etc? This could be used against you at a later date like windswept Robert is under investigation?

1 Like

Means no freestyle FPV videos at all I guess now… How ANYONE (spotter as well) can tell the direction a freestyle is pointing in (my rates are 1000 degress per second, that’s nearly 3 rotations a second) at a point in time is not going to happen!! As we tend to fly < 30m the rules are just… Not helpful for FPV at all!

1 Like

If youre giving up FPV Martin Ill take first dibs on O3 Air Unit mate :laughing:

This further supports the fact that those making the regulations have no clue as to what they are regulating. If you take the literature the CAA have recently published on face value you’d think we’re all flying DJI Phantoms and self built hexacopters. Even that Callum chap from the CAA stated he knew very little about FPV. He tried it once but it made him airsick.

Just have the lot… Never fly anymore

If the average person can only reliably see a Mini 2 out to 50m to truly ascertain its attitude, will the current maximum permissible height above ground also be reduced? If I take my Mini 2 up vertically directly above me to the legal 120m limit, I can’t even see it…

Food for thought.

Cheers - Rob

1 Like

@vk2gom Moved your post to the main topic discussing the same thing :+1:t2:

They’re not going to change the rules, VLOS is an adequate rule which makes it flexible for the size of the drone, it’s visibility, etc. Down to individuals to ensure they’re flying to the rules.

I can see my mini 2 and its orientation at 50m+ in any direction. I guess its down to individuals eyesight. My golfing buddies think its great cus I can tell them where thier balls have gone! :hugs:

Bet you can’t when its behind you ;o)

:clap::+1::rofl::rofl: smarty pants! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

My wife can, she has eyes in the back of her head :rofl:

1 Like