VOTING CLOSED - WE HAVE A WINNER - Video of the Month Competition (VOTM) - February 2024 - A Retrospective

Challenge Committee Announcement - New Grey Arrows Video of the Month Competition

A recent discussion highlighted the fact that although we have lots of Photography competitions, there is currently nothing for those of us who prefer Videography, so the Challenge Committee are pleased to announce that starting today we will be running a monthly Video of the Month Competition.

VIDEO OF THE MONTH RULES

Scope

The requirement is to submit a video created using footage captured by your own drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. The competition will be held monthly and footage for the month must be captured from 00:01 on the 1st of the calendar month until 2359 on the last calendar date of the month - unless otherwise specified. Entries must then be submitted by 2359 on the 7th of the following month – to allow time for editing footage captured up until the last moment of the last day of the month.

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Unless otherwise stated VOTM entries should be no longer than 5 minutes.

Please post only one video, the video you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Video’s must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your video then delete the previous video and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee

(@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

Time and date

Aircraft/camera used

Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest.

Voting

Videos will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of videos by means of an anonymous poll open for seven days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

Voting for the Video of the Month Subject will commence on or around the 21st of the Month, once the previous Month’s Winners have been announced, this will be open for 7 days, and the subject for the following Monthly Competition will be announced around the 28th of the month.

The competition will then begin at 0001am on the 1st calendar day of the month, all footage entered into that month’s competition must be captured during that month - unless otherwise stated - and before 2359 on the last calendar day of the month, this will be known as the filming window.

You will then have 1 extra week to edit your footage and submit your video to the competition, all entries must be submitted by 2359 on the 7th day of the month after the filming window closed.

Voting by poll will be opened on or around the 8th of the month and will be open for a week until 2359 on the 14th of the month, the winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed.

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

FEBRUARY VIDEO OF THE MONTH COMPETITION - ‘A RETROSPECTIVE’ – OPEN NOW!

This month’s VOTM Competition starts today. The subject is an open one for this month, titled a Retrospective.

As we are already in February, we are relaxing the rules on video length AND when the footage was filmed FOR THIS MONTH ONLY!

This means you can choose any video that you have previously produced to enter to the competition for this month, or you can choose to film something new in the remaining days of February.

All footage submitted must have been filmed before the end of the filming window at 2359n on the 29th February 2024, and it must then be submitted it by the 7th of March at 2359, which is the closing date and time.

Voting will then be opened on the 8th of March for 1 week, where you will be able to vote for as many video as you like before the closing date on the 14th of March at 2359.

As always, have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

This was taken a little before February 2024.

Mavic Air, 10th September 2020 18:30. Langstone Harbour, Hayling Island

One of the first videos I did that was planned. I used Litchi to setup the flight and camera angles, checked in Google Earth and then went and stood on the foreshore by the Ferry Boat inn and let 'er rip! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY.
Taken this afternoon using my Mini 3 Pro.
Nothing spectacular as it was a tad windy and kept getting the “High wind “ warning regularly.
Little bit of editing with DaVinci Resolve.
Enjoy

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Taken on the 1st February using my MINI3 Pro, flying from the front garden of our home in Partington over the nearby Manchester Ship Canal - Strobes fotted for low light flying.

Edited in DaVinci Resolve 18, with minimal colour grading…

6 Likes

Might as well delete my entry now :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Nope, if needed I will delete mine… Nowt wrong with yours, I like the chilled smooth movement and the music fits perfectly - plus its crisp and clean visually with good colours…

Ahh Suzanne, I’m only joking me duck. Fair do’s I love your videos. Something many of us can only aspire to. :+1::+1: ( Thank you for your kind comment on my video ( single clip btw ) :wink: ( must admit, I’m getting smoother with the drone movement via the sticks, some of my earlier videos are full of gut wrenching jerkiness ) :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words on my own work, honestly I truly believe that anyone can do just as well…

And nowt wrong with a single clip, I often do long clips that work for me, perhaps my longest was a Loch Ness early morning flight, 4 mins+ of a single clip, which worked for me…

Perhaps I will have to reshare that one soon - still trying to reset the algorithms, my channel is down to less than 100 views a day from over a thousand at xmas, that’ll teach me to complain that YT were sending the worng demographic my way…

THIS IS MY ENTRY.

Celtic Park, Glasgow - Mini 3 Pro - 01/06/2023.

Shot long before Feb 24, this was probably the last video I shot that didn’t involve a bride & groom. Audio courtesy of 60,000 Celtic fans on a Champions League night :shamrock:
Celtic Park is the home stadium of Celtic Football Club, in the Parkhead area of Glasgow, Scotland. With a capacity of 60,000+, it is the largest football stadium in Scotland, and the eighth-largest stadium in the United Kingdom. :shamrock: :soccer: :shamrock:

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Time and date: 10am on the 02/04/23

Aircraft: Parrot Anafi

I took a pleasant walk up to Hartshead Pike to admire the views from this quaint landmark. I hope you enjoy this short film which was shot over 3 visits. The latter 2, during sun rise and sunset.

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY
North cornwall dji avata in blustery conditions
12/2/24

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

This is air and ground mix experiment using my latest tripod invention for the Mini 4 Pro, the video WB was on manual from a previous flight so completely wrong for this clip.

Corby Boating Lake 07 Feb 2024, HLG, 25fps.

2 Likes

A Gentle Reminder - You only have until 2359 tomorrow (29th February) to film your February VOTM footage!

All entries must then be edited and submitted by 2359 on the 7th of March, at which time voting will then commence for one week.

Good luck and clear skies to all - those who have entered, and those who are still planning to do so!

1 Like

When you say “nothing can be added” does it include a sub request call out, title text and end credits?

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Filmed 3rd February 2024 with mini 4 Pro using ND32 filter. Elterwater, Lake District using HLG H.265 4K:30fps edited in Davinci Resolve.

4 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Portchester Castle Bathed in Glorious Sunshine

Filmed - Feb 2024 with Mini Pro 4 using ND32 filter, edited in Adobe Premier Pro.

3 Likes

Titles, credits and text are fine, what we mean is no replacing skies or adding objects to the footage on the video…

3 Likes

A reminder, all flying for the February VOTM competition is now over, you have 1 week, until 2359 on the 7th to complete any last minute editing and submit your video’s before the competition closes and voting begins.

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Waltham Windmill North East Lincolnshire. Filmed over last few years using DJI Mini2,3,4 pro. A windmill I pass on daily basis short walk from my home

6 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Around midday 10th February 2024. - Beacon Lane Abandoned Golf Course (Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Beacon Lane abandoned golf course - Forests and Trees in North West)

Filmed mainly with DJI O3 on an AOS 5 inch frame, a GoPro 9 used at start, and 2 short bits from the planes camera (I assume a thumb or a walksnail DVR recording).

Is a snapshot in time, showing members of the GADC together (in the final shot all there), enjoying themselves, community having fun, helping each other, and working together. Also nearly killed one of them (not me flying the quad, the pilot of the plane ;)) Also recorded in February this year, so that’s nice :wink:

5 Likes