War memorials

A few years back I completed a bike ride for the Army Benevolent Fund the soldiers charity for which I am a committee member. The idea of my challenge was that I started at my house in Liverpool and cycled alone with no support team to the national war memorial in Lichfield, and stayed overnight they cyled home the next night. the route was elongated so that it covered 453 km the exact amount of British military deaths in Afghanistan.

Along my route I stopped and photographed the different war memorials of each village. I have been contemplating doing similar with my drone, not for charity just photographing them as I see them.

I don’t have PFCO so obviously there will be plenty that I cannot do. But if I stuck to the drone code is there any moral or legal reason why I shouldn’t?

Legally, it simply depends on where they are, which as you say, the Drone Code has the answers.

1 Like

Ok, I’m not a lawyer but I would say that War memorials are in place to be viewed. Their purpose is to help us remember the victims of war and, I assume, to bring some solace to the fmilies of those whose names are inscribed on the monument.

So their purpose is to be seen and scrutinised. As long as you observe the drone code I can see no problem at all with what you are doing. You may need to get an A2 CofC once / if the new regulations come in.

2 Likes

There are a lot covered by national trust covenants so just keep an eye on land ownership. Other wise crack on.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick replys, I am in the Army and have been for 14 years so i understand the importance of the memorials, I’d just hate if the family of a deceased soldier seen me and assumed I was just mucking about.

I’d like to do a whole series of videos and pictures of them, I may start planning soon.

I am planning on doing it at some point I do want to earn some cash on the side if possible and wouldn’t want to get my collar felt!

1 Like

I’m ex army and I wouldn’t be offended. But if someone asked, I bet when you explain your project they would be over the moon.

2 Likes

Thanks, out of curiosity what regiment did you serve with.

Royal Signals

2 Likes

My Dad was Royal Signals (reserve) for 25 years he left as a Ssgt

1 Like

I have taken many pictures of war memorials in villages, towns and cities. (This was initially prompted by seeing memorials to the “Great War 1914-1919”, challenging the current convention of the First World War being dated to “1914-1918”). I have never been asked to stop taking pictures, but generally these are in built-up areas, so it would need a very liberal interpretation of the Drone Code to capture aerial footage.

1 Like

I visited Tyne Cot, several years ago, and had planned to take some drone photos.
So as to minimise disturbing any of the living (visitors/staff) at the cemetery, and since this was July, I planned my journey to arrive before sunrise, set up in a suitable location, get in a quick flight with a few pics to show the enormity of the place, and away.
Before I set up I thought I’d have a quick look around in the dawn light.

I’ve visited several of the larger CWGCs over the years, but never when so totally quiet and being the only person there - not one visitor or staff.
The silence, as they say, was deafening.
I immediately realised that there was no way I could disturb this silence, and felt it was tantamount to disrespecting all those that had died, and even those that maintained such a beautiful place of remembrance, to fly the drone.

So - a huge detour for the visit resulted in no drone flying - and was followed by a 12 hour drive with much thought and contemplation.

6 Likes

I could feel the tranquility just reading your post.

I took my then Girlfriend (now wife) to Bergan Belsen during a weekend off in Germany and just by walking through the gates there is an instant change of atmosphere it really makes the hairs on you neck stand on end. Unless you have experienced it, it is difficult to explain without using too many clichés.

2 Likes