Warning - Drone Newby! DJI Mini 3 Pro won't track sideways

Help! First outdoor flight this morning with my brand new Mini 3 Pro. Flight controls - forward / back, rotate CW / CCW and Up / Down all work A1. Drone will not track sideways. Any ideas drone exoerts?

1 Like

It’s the obstacle avoidance set to bypass

You can either set it to brake or just turn on sideways movement

Just check the setting top right

3 Likes

Yes it is set to “Bypass” - does that disable the “Sideways” control then?

Yes the drone will automatically control the sideways movement without any stick input

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Welcome to GADC, happy flying :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks - maiden outdoor flight today because it has been so bloody windy!

2 Likes

You will be surprised how well it handles the wind

3 Likes

Maybe in the hands of an expert but I am proceeding with caution!!

2 Likes

Best way take it easy :+1:

2 Likes

All will be good, and welcome to GADC

Top tip for today, wrap up well :o)

1 Like

A mate of mine got one recently too and he lost it on day 3 - lost connection with the controller and the auto-home function failed. He was lucky enough to get it back as some honest cutizen handed it in to a Police station!

2 Likes

Winter drawers on!!

That doesn’t really happen, it’s nearly always down to operator error

Tip: check the RTH Setting every flight

2 Likes

Quick question while we are on the subject of sideways flying might be a bit of a daft one :man_shrugging:t3:, I had the Air2 out the other day and wanted to do a follow me shot. Now is it possible for the mavic to fly sideways while completing my follow me shot or will it only follow you from behind??.

This is interesting…so in a scenario where you have Bypass active and you fly towards an object does the drone actively stop, and then go either left or right to get passed the object? (it’s too cold to nip out and try for myself now but will do when more temperate)
Ta

1 Like

Doesn’t stop unless there is no way round or above. It scans the immediate area and makes its own decision on which way is best but be careful as it sometimes misses cables and light twigs on trees etc. There is also a setting to stop you going left and right, which is what I thought your initial problem was about. Mine was turned off by default and I have my avoudance turned to brake unless it interferes with the shot I’m after.

1 Like
1 Like

when you are in bypass mode with the Mini 3 pro ,you have probably noticed that giving the drone any left or right stick movement results in a very quick response and stop
this can be a problem if say you were flying down a fairly narrow lane and the action of left or right stick input could cause the drone to hit what was either side of it ,so to prevent this from happening in bypass mode the sideways movement can be disabled in the settings

have you also checked the setting that turns on and off sideways flight?