Warrington Transporter Bridge, May 2022

I was out photographing the Pink Eye Building in Warrington, and decided to nip round the corner to photograph this as well.

10 Likes

12 Likes

Cracking images just a shame that it appears not to be a working transporter bridge, cheers Len

It hasn’t been operational since the mid 1960s, and there’s no chance of it being made operational again. Nobody has the money to refurbish it, let alone restore it properly. It’s amazing it’s in as good condition as it is, to be honest - I regularly see bridges in a far worse state that are still carrying live traffic!

It’s a terrible shame , what a wonderful tourist money spinner it would be if working, very very shortsighted Council, cheers len

Friends of Warrington Transporter Bridge have campaigned on its behalf for many years. It needs outside funding, and unfortunately its location isn’t attractive to that: it’s difficult to get to, and it goes nowhere. I think the only way it will have a future if the adjacent chemical plant is ever closed down and the whole site gets redeveloped.

That’s the biggest trouble with this country, the shortsightedness of the Government and local Councils towards our industrial heritage is shameful, I am 80 years old and together with a group of mainly elderly people we are trying to renovate the Old Great Western Colliery so I have first hand experience of trying to get funds out of various bodies that are supposed to be there to help causes like ours but funds are quite often not available for renovation projects but there seems to be always funds available to help academics to write extremely expensive reports that get filed away and forgotten. But keep trying and who knows somebody who is interested in Industrial heritage may get a position in these organisations that will help , cheers Len

1 Like