Warwickshire Country Parks

Just a quick heads up, Hartshill Hayes Country Park is marked on the map as a yellow zone. But all Warwickshire Country Parks prohibit any hobbyist drone flights at all and you need to apply for permission for commercial flights.

Yet in a recent FOI request they openly stated they have no Byelaws to back this up, only stating in a redacted memo that they don’t allow any recreational flights.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what has happened since the FOI request, but there are signs up now as well as a very short-tempered park ranger who is more than happy to lecture people.

So just a heads up if, on a WCC property, they do not like or allow drones on their property and do ask people to leave.

Probably to match the memo sent out.

I guess you could always ask said ranger chap the byelaw to back up his anger :wink:

1 Like

Or just take off from a public right of way and over fly their land :wink: then tell the ranger to kindly go away and read the rules :grin:

3 Likes

lmao, I’m glad you said that because that idea has been in my head for weeks.
My son uses the RDA horse riding school over the road from them, so I could take off from there :smiley:

2 Likes

Perfect :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

No bylaw or PSPO in place, nothing to stop you flying from public land as long as you adhere to all Drone Code regulations. And signs mean absolutely nothing without specific reference to a bylaw, just like the NT do with reference to their outdated and unenforceable one. What they say and what their policy is (policy isn’t law) doesn’t empower them to do diddly squat. They could accuse you of trespass (Civil matter) and then they’d have to prove nuisance or other breach of public land use and even then the police would be reluctant to get involved.

3 Likes

They can’t do shit if you take off and land outside of their property.
I’ve had this with EH and NT in the past. I’ve driven through Chatsworth and taken sea level heights then worked out what height I need to be in Litchi.
Then take off outside their land and fly a Litchi mission.
Chatsworth is huge though and the closest take off site is about 1.5 miles away so it’s a quick orbit of the house then back landing on around 40% battery.

1 Like

My local country park (Kingsbury) is run by WCC and states on its website no hobbyist drones. I just go early doors or later in the day after the rangers have finished.Video/photo the sunrise/sunsets. Never been bothered by the locals.

On the flip Warwickshire has a filming policy that is badly worded saying permission doesn’t need to be acquired for drones. The page is outdated for 2021 rules but you could throw that in their faces for sub <250g drones.

https://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/info/20796/town_centres_and_events/1338/filming_in_the_district

1 Like