Whalley Abbey, A Cistercian Monastery

Whalley Abbey is a ruinous 13th-century Cistercian abbey on the banks of the River Calder in the peaceful Ribble Valley in Lancashire. Whalley Abbey is a former Cistercian abbey which after the dissolution of the monasteries, was largely demolished and a country house was built on the site. Whalley Abbey was the second richest of Lancashire’s monasteries, founded in 1296, when the Cistercian monks of Stanlaw moved there from their flood-prone site on the Cheshire shore of the River Mersey near Ellesmere Port.

The Gregorian chant you are listening to is sung by the Cistercian Monks Of Stift Heiligenkreuz - the Cistercian Chant Responsories of Matins for the Feast of St Bernard : Testamentum Eternum

Paul.

8 Likes

Nice vid and thanks for including the history :+1:

Henry VIII … what a tosser. We have lost so much heritage to the fat mupppet.

Lovely video and I do like a nice Gregorian Chant :+1:

1 Like

Thank you - I think a bit of knowledge can help most videos if provided.

Paul.

1 Like

I was unsure about the music - but it is relevant to the visuals so I thought I would go with it.

Paul.

After getting up at 4am I drove up to the Abbey and found it a surreal piece of history. Really enjoyed the visit thanks to members on here for the heads up wonderful place to fly the drone.

Whalley Abbey

1 Like

Its a lovely smooth flight Shaun - clear to see you enjoyed your visit.

Paul.

Thanks for the recommendation getting up at silly o clock was worth it in the end

1 Like

Great footage, have you been to Wycoller Village, it’s not an abbey but it is equally beautiful with the house ruins on the river.

1 Like

No bud but I’ll check it out :+1:t2:

It’s here as well Shaun :wink: Wycoller

Paul.

Really pleased with video had just short of 1k hits so far

1 Like