What are .SRT files?

Morning all. Every MP4 file on the mem card has a corresponding .SRT file. Something to do with subtitles.
What are they and can I just delete them to save space?

Yup - ā€œsubtitle filesā€ - but the subtitles are your drone and home-point locations, date, time, height and camera settings.

1 Like

Further info here.

Thanks Dave. How do you overlay that on the video file?

Most video editors have subtitle functions.

Which editor do you use?

Iā€™ve used FCP for years now but Iā€™ve never delved into the subtitles.

Iā€™m sure that has the ability to use them. Not that Iā€™ve used it.

I know that both Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro can use them.

Time to head to YT and search for ā€œFCP Subtitleā€

Tis indeed, although I still doubt if Iā€™ll ever use them. Thanks Dave.

Iā€™m not sure how much manipulation one has.

If one can pull out height and distance from home on their own to show in a corner, then that might be interesting sometimes.

I think I saw you can switch off recording them, if you donā€™t need them. ā€œVideo Captionsā€ I think it was.

Iā€™ve just ever looked at them I did a piece for work that needed them (mad world).

Loads of youtube resources on ā€˜captionsā€™

Thats the chap, same in DJIFLY too

2 Likes

Yes, that might be useful, or possibly GPS, but in a specific place and only when required.

Thereā€™s only so many hours in the day, and so much to learn, FCP, Photoshop, Fusion 360, Labview, Iā€™m trying to improve my knowledge of them all but only scratched the surface so far.

1 Like

Those options are definitely possible in DR ā€¦ so probably FCP, too.

Iā€™ve noticed that there is a .SRT file with every MP4 file on the memory card. What are they and do I need to keep them for any reason?

Moved your post to your previous thread with the same question. :wink:

They were traditionally used to keep optional subtitles for films, and now DJI use them to store some additional information on your flight. On my Mac I can read these files when:

• the film and the .SRT have the same name AND
  • I use VLC (not Quicktime Player) to play the movie file AND
  • I set the subtitles to be on in VLC

Result:

remains on screen, updating, all the time.

[Drafted this reply whilst your second enquiry was still running!]

@ash2020 you have an incredible knack of asking the exact same questions this year that you asked last year :rofl:

1 Like

OMG Dave, it was the same question, asked by the same person - me! Now Iā€™m seriously worried!

1 Like

I know Rich, and Iā€™ll prolly keep on asking it every year, until they take me away. I really am very worried now. :flushed:

1 Like