What risks a would a non cellular link have with an iphone or iPad?

Hello. I have been using my phone for controlling my drones for the last couple of years but I feel an iPad would be far better due to the screen size but I’m confused as to what limitations this would give me and what risks a non cellular link would be?

@Dave1981 switch your existing iPhone to Airplane mode in order to simulate an iPad with no cellular / data link.

You might not get any maps visible but you could always pair your iPad to your phone if you suddenly decide you need a terrain/satellite view instead of a camera view :person_shrugging:t2:

Try a few searches as this bit has been covered a few times over the years, but in short the only thing to consider is that the non-cellular iPad models don’t have GPS built in so if you like moving around while flying you won’t be able to update your return-to-home point.

1 Like

I seem to recall the non-cellular iPads also lack GPS?
This prevents some functionality … changing home-point, for example. Not sure what else. Never understood why they don’t have GPS.

… but that can also be simulated by turning off your phones location services.

I bought a 7" tablet (Android) that has GPS, it also has cellular but I don’t have a sim in it, as I tether it to my main mobile for the maps etc.

Does it affect any functionality with no cellular?

Obviously not, since people that fly their drones hundreds of miles from a mobile signal don’t have issues. Watch any David Attenborough program shot in the north Canadian tundra, the Namib Desert, etc x hundreds.

You won’t get live maps is the only negative.
You won’t get prompted to install a new version of firmware. A distinct positive.

I’ve not had my drone-phone connected to the internet for over 4 years.

1 Like

Hi, I was looking into this as well. I was thinking about getting a tablet and using that insted of using my phone as the tablet would be a bit biger and easy to see.

From what I recall is that if you don’t have GPS on you device and you like to travel while flying, if it ever goes into return home mode it will land where you first started as it is not updating the position.
You also won’t get live maps.
I was looking at the Tripltek 8 pro tab but very ££££

Normal behaviour isn’t to ‘update’ the home position, once it’s set at set (unless you change it)

1 Like

Milkmanchris.
Changing the return to home position if you ever have to. In normal conditions it would stay the same.

1 Like

It’s stored on the drone anyway

1 Like

Proven by the fact that the RTH function kicks in even if you switch off the RC. :+1:

2 Likes

I use MM2 with Ipad mini 4. It cost a fortune 4 years ago and after paying the cash found the version I bought had no gps, so no compass or live maps. There a waste of money, screen is nowhere near bright enough amongst all the other limitations. Wait n see how MM3 shapes up with a RC Pro controller and may be a luvly bright screen. One stop shop… Save the heart ache and frustration.

I have a non cellular iPad mini and have no issues when i’ve used it. Download the maps you’ll need while at home of where you’ll be flying and they will be available. The home point I believe is calculated by the GPS (where it is at that time) on the drone and not the phone / iPad so just wait for the 'home point updated check it on the map" and there it will be, so long as you’ve not gone somewhere not covered on the map downloads. The drone must communicate its position to the maps on your iPad, or it’s just magic.

1 Like

Yes, as you suggest. Screen is still next to useless without hiding under a tree or blanket over your head!

There is another issue, in that without GPS the controller to drone orientation is not visible. Important if flying at distance. You can hot spot to your smartphone for Internet but still no compass… More complications and potential failure. Still can’t see the screen.

1 Like

If youre looking for a lower cost tablet you might consider “Amazon Renewed.”

I needed an ipad for a recently acquired Phantom 4 Multispectral (the specific app is ios only unfortunatly). An ipad 6 (2018) 9.7" cellular ipad cost me just under £180 delivered. Immaculate condition and registered on icloud without a problem. Ok it’s in a plain box but I’m not bothered about a box. Supported by a 1 year warranty from Amazon.

Not sure what other stuff they do.

On the non cellular issue, the DJI Smartcontroller doesn’t have cellular link which just shows how necessary it is(n’t) for normal flying. Although can be useful for plotting new mission flights in fields- assuming you actually have a mobile data signal of course… :thinking:

GC

I’ve always used my iPad for flying my M2P never had a problem with it.