What's the point

Seriously what’s the point in registering paying for insurance getting certified only to be told by jobsworths everywhere you fly that it’s not allowed. I can’t be bothered with legal arguments because they don’t even have the mental capacity to understand.
A blanket ban on drone flying over any land that anyone thinks they have control of seems to be the way forward.
More and more I see organisations banning the use of drones over their land. Because they ban the use then they think they have a legal right to stop anyone.
This either needs to be tested on court to allow licensed (and insured) use or I won’t be paying any more money to organisations to enjoy what is supposed to be a hobby.
I am sure I am not the only person with this view but ymmv
Rant over
Lol

11 Likes

@D33j - I have always found the best way is to box a bit clever when I want to fly. Scope the area first for a public TOAL and carefully pick the right time of day. (after hours for places like NT or EH sites) for example. Also, as is quite often quoted on the forum - never ask for permission only forgiveness!! Or something like that! Not sure if this helps but i find a little homework up front seems to work for me.

8 Likes

You’re dead right man.
But (I know its easier for me cos I’m tall, with an overbearing stupid face and a north west accent so not many people bother me) you just got to stand you’re ground sometimes.

Fly with a group. It’s easier - less approachable.

Richard Branson can build a ship to reach space as he has the money to pay for the regulations (and the ship :rofl:). So it’s legal cos he has the money.

I don’t have the money, so I’ll fly first, deal with it later. It works. Drones are fun. Make it that way. Unless you’re making money from it, then in that case welcome to capitalism :laughing:

Fly within the drone code and you’re good.

Note to self… There should be a separate drone code for fpv’ers :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Rant brewing

6 Likes

I always fly within the drone code. Been at it for a while and not new to drones but with the advent of rules are regs we now have a nation of Karen’s who have decided that they can override the legalities of flying.
Whilst I agree that in certain situations a flight might be reckless, I do carry out a risk assessment prior to each flight.
It basically boils down to people thinking you can’t fly over their land because it’s private, however they allow public access so long as you aren’t flying. What is the point in paying for the registration and licensing if Joe public thinks he knows best. Surely the money should be used to educate the general public that licenced drone operators are, for the most part, responsible and fully aware of risks. As well as posessing millions of pounds of public liability insurance.

My point is, if paying for the hobby does not allow me to enjoy it then I will just stop paying and do what I want.

2 Likes

watch out , watch out , there’s a @notveryprettyboy about !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Total agreement mate. The public Needs educating. Luckily where I live I get left alone apart from the curious 1s that try to distract you, I always land and leave better to move around than upset people… Even the police :oncoming_police_car: don’t say anything. I’m dying to flash all me certification and cards saying I’m more than qualified and covered.

2 Likes

I get that… it can ‘seem’ like you have nowhere to go because the uninformed are there with fake knowledge and they are confident with it!

I’m afraid it is going to be hard to educate people who already think they are right. Even dog owners know that they should be careful not to worry sheep but many just don’t care if there are consequences. they do what they think is right rather than what is the right thing.

As with drones, It’s the same thing with anyone with a camera; it is obviously operated by a pervert isn’t it. I had similar feelings when just carrying a camera and hope no children moved into frame!

I think it was summed up earlier in the thread go when there are few people around and take of on public ground.

3 Likes

Stick to golden hours. Gets a bit shit when the mornings/nights draw back in but at the moment there’s no one ever around and you get the best light you could ever wish for.

8 Likes

Wear Headphones.

Just a thought, mainly for the admin staff and anyone involved with other drone organizations.

Why not do a small show and tell on TV, if possible a news program. Put it forward to the news teams, who ever they may be, to be carried along side some drone related news, say a missing person found with drone etc. Put information forward on the different classes of drone, the registration required for drones, the rights of drone owners, the CAA tests, etc.

There must be people that could put an information film together that is just a few minutes long that could meet requirements, a person to sit on the couch on morning TV who can represent the drone community and put forward the positive side of the hobby and some of it’s other uses on National TV. Yes it could cost, I could donate say £100 and perhaps enough other members would help.

It could also educate the drone flyers that are not registered and generally ignoring the rules.

As I say. Just a thought to the community less demonised in general.

Adrian

2 Likes

Hmm, I don’t wish to sound negative, but sometimes it’s better the devil you know.

Do we really want a national campaign that highlights sub 250g drones that people can buy from Argos can literally be flown anywhere as long as they have read the manual and paid another £9 for an operator iD. I cam just see said person getting grilled on breakfast TV rather putting across the positives.

You’d see a commons discussion petition online within minutes, then the next thing it’s being discussed in the commons and the laws get made even more restrictive.

After all, we’ll all perverts right.

2 Likes

Speak for yourself, at my age more of a grubby old man :slight_smile:
It is strange but most of the videos and pictures I see are not of houses/people/back gardens, but of open landscapes, sea views etc. Mobile phones can take high resolution images now generally the same if not better than small drones.

Adrian

5 Likes

Karans will be karans, ignore them and move on with your day :+1:t2: life is to short to worry about what other people think as long as you know you’re flying with in the law then let them call the police and get in trouble themselves for wasting police time :+1:t2:

Don’t even respond to them if you are currently flying. If they approach you remind them that distracting a pilot is an offence. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Might be a good idea to have a card made out with the ANO bit about interfering with pilots and the subsequent possible penalty.
That should shut them up :rofl:

It’s very annoying to have your hands tied & restrictions added. I know some people may use cameras for nefarious reasons ( police party cams, council spy cams etc ) but I just want to take pretty pictures. One of the issues with legislation is that those dodgy users who are the likely targets of said legislation will simply ignore the rules and probably get away with it. If I accidentally go somewhere I shouldn’t, there’s bound to be an expert on hand to take my name & number to make a complaint.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

Currently having a similar feeling as at the end of two weeks off for a holiday, I’ve not yet manged to get the drone in the air due to waiting on permissions from places to take off from, or just straight a “no” as a reply. (Yes I applied weeks ago)

The only one that was helpful (Harrogate council) couldn’t help as the land I wanted to use wasn’t actually theirs… (responded in under 4 hours and even rang me up to apologise that they couldn’t help me) This one was a last minute one too!

Think I may just “wing it” from now on

1 Like

That’s your issue right there. Asking first. Just follow the drone code check Drone Scene for local by laws and air space restrictions if non apply to your location then just fly. :+1:t2:

One of my main reasons for flying now is for search and rescue flights for lost dogs. This has taught me to go with the “don’t ask just seek forgiveness” routine and 9 times out of 10 I don’t even need to seek forgiveness.
The other point that is quite helpful - I always wear my hi viz vest - makes you look more official and keeps Mr & Mrs Karen at arms length. The worst that can happen is for someone to ask you to land :man_shrugging:
Most that challenge have no idea of the regulations - just be polite and explain you’re totally legal but most importantly - just enjoy yourself :+1: :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

If you check drone scene by having the local council borders switched on and check generally the council response, it is a plain ’ No you can not fly from or land in the council areas’. What it does not and probably cannot show is common/public land etc, just the council boundaries. So sometimes having that information on Drone scene could be seen as negative?

Just my point of view.

Adrian

2 Likes