Whats the reason for less power?

Morning all. Just sat here wondering why???

Does anyone know why we have CE version DJI drones, and for what reasons we are unable/not legally allowed to use the same power as FCC??? What can the higher power interfere with if anything?

Are their many of us in the UK who use FCC via a hack? Reason I ask the last question is I want to use drone tweaks to change mine but dont fancy getting fined for doing so.
How would anyone know what you’re using unless you crash?

Im not looking for range, but do get alot of interference and drop outs where I live. FCC seems so much more capable and stable so would seem to be a safer flight.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

@Nidge is the best man to answer this :ok_hand:t2:

Hopefully he’ll pop along and give me heads up on it… Cheers…

1 Like

The fcc app is exactly the same as the "standard " app apart from being unlocked.

It will certainly increase signal and range but isn’t something I would worry too much about unless you are flying either in places you really shouldn’t fly or totally recklessly.

Legally you should always maintain line of sight, but that’s your choice if you choose to fly otherwise :wink:

Hi, thanks but as i said it isn’t for range as i always fly line of site. It’s just for some reason where i live i get drop outs well before i loose sight. I have alot of trees and also powerstation nearby plus lots of wires about so think thats why… I tend to fly lower due to powerlines which doesnt help with signal. Also doing practice for drone sar in and around local woodlands so was wondering if FCC would be the way to go?
I dont fancy being fined or causing interference with having slightly higher power. But would like to feel that its more stable with connection.

It’s all to do with OFCOM and the limiting of interference your device causes to other devices. The 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz spectrums are very busy.

Your desire to run more power comes down to risk/reward. It’s against the law and the fines are probably high - but the rewards of having your signal punch through the noise are equally as high.

1 Like

Oh dear. This is a rats nest of international agreements, policies, directorates, and a further plethora of words that nobody wants to hear.

The whole world, and I do mean world, of telecommunications is watched over by the International Telecommunications Union, ITU. This comprises representatives from:

193 Member States,
579 Sector Members
175 Associates
And 52 Academia

The responsibility of all these representatives is to represent, globally, the interests of all spectrum users and to maintain harmonisation and standardisation across the three regions the globe is divided into.

More info here:

In the image below you can see that the World has been split into three separate regions. We are in Region 1 which is colloquially referred to as CE even though it covers the African continent and the FSU and Baltic States. Region 2 is referred to the FCC region, even though the FCC has nothing to do with regulation outside the CONUS. Region 3 covers the Middle and Far East as well as Australia and New Zealand. This is made up of areas that use both the CE and the SRRC (State Radio Regulation of China) standards.

Each of these three regions have there own standardisation requirements and regulations. As drone users the two primary interests are the frequencies used and the power levels permitted, and these can vary quite considerably between regions. As an example my amateur radio license permits me to use up to 400Watts to the antenna on 2.4GHz and 5GHz, BUT, I cannot use my amateur radio privileges from any aircraft, including model aircraft and balloons. Where as in the USA they can transmit non-spread spectrum up to 1500watts from airborne platforms. Similarly our license exempt ISM allocations only permit 25milliwatts on 5GHz, where as in the USA they are permitted up to 1watt.

But WHY?

Way back before the digital age each region had its own telecommunication standards. These standards dictated such things like how many lines were needed to create a single frame of a TV image, how many 4KHz telephone channels were in a group and how many groups were in a supergroup. Even the channel spacing for broadcast stations on the MW allocation (EU = 9KHz, USA = 10KHz). Go back a little further and the dictator of these standards was formulated from the frequency of the AC mains supply. As time progressed the role of the ITU took on more responsibilities to where we are today. So as each Region has its own spectrum band plan it is the role of the ITU to ensure that all existing, and future, technologies can coexist on what is a limited resource, without undue interference to commercial, military, and government interests. The amateur radio allocations used to have these same protections but now they are only afforded the same protections as those of the license exempt ISM provisions we use for our drones, i.e Absolutely None At All.

7 Likes

Oh wow, thanks for that… LOL doesn’t look like they’ll be changing things anytime soon then lol…

Might give it a miss then. There’s a lot of folk around that have hacked their drones and I’ve not heard of anyone being prosecuted for interference yet. But my luck I’d be the 1st…

It’s a bit like “adding bits” to a <250g drone and taking it over 250g.

There’s nobody out there tasked with checking … and the enforcement bodies don’t have capacity to prosecute SERIOUS breaches of legislation/law/etc.

(See this post for evidence of their lack of capacity.)

I’d probably guess that you’ve exceeded a speed limit … slightly, at some point … without a ticket. :wink:

To be honest there’s very little likelihood of that happening, unless you’re involved in a significant incident and your drone is forensically inspected. OFCOM, like all public service organisations, has suffered from harsh financial cuts and staffing cuts. Their priorities are to service the large commercial interests, so some bloke stood in a field using 100milliwatts instead of 25milliwatts is not going to ping their radar, that is unless it does actually ping a 5GHz radar.

Well i will give it some thought lol… I remember once i was parked up near Menwith Hill American base in Yorkshire. When I say near I mean about 1 mile away how the crow flies.
I was trying to log on a wireless camera that I have fitted for security in the van and was unable to log on as it said there was another user was already logged in. I was unable to cancel them or gain any control for about 10 mins. I always think it could of been them on the base logging into it… After all it is known as the American Spy Base. So they would soon pickup what’s around.

Highly unlikely as I no longer work there :wink:

In the months after 9/11 I was reported to the base security as about to launch a rocket attack. Some passerby had seen me in a dark field with my telescope and assumed, incorrectly that I was acting out Jihad.

The MOD police rolled up and the first thing they said was something along the lines of “We should have guessed it would be something to do with you”. Even back then I had the reputation amongst my coworkers that I was an UberNerd that didn’t get invited to parties, and I worked with some very committed Nerds.

1 Like

I don’t think they’d be bothered about a slightly more powered drone to be fair… They know me from the van I drive and so long as the drone doesn’t head their direction all should be fine… It’s quite funny as the police and mod know me up that way, so much so that when I moved address, and changed my van they drove past me when I was parked up Near Brimham Rocks they did a check on the new van then stopped for a chat. He said he was just checking as my name came up on the van and the address didn’t match the name lol… ( Just so you don’t think Im a nutjob or some dodgy bloke I used to live near the base and I go on to help a farmer with livestock) LOL So I’m not some nutter… LOL or am I???

1 Like

I’m sure they’re used to flying things as the Nidderdale Model Flying Club is in the field directly opposite the main gate. A couple of my coworkers were also members.

a very interesting topic…
:thinking: