Where can I fly above 400ft

If you do get permission - can you let us know? That would be interesting - although I assume you’d be allowed up to no more than 500m in order to maintain VLOS?

1 Like

It’s not looking good - I just had a quick check on the CAA website. But depending on where you are you’d be in Class G airspace which is uncontrolled up to 14.500ft - therefore you’d need permission from the CAA… to do it legally.

The Certified category covers operations that present an equivalent risk to that of manned aviation; because of this they are be subjected to the same regulatory regime (i.e. certification of the unmanned aircraft, certification of the UAS operator, licensing of the remote pilot).

UK regulations relating to the Certified category are still being developed and are not yet published.

Until unique UAS regulations are available, the principles set out in the relevant manned aviation regulations for airworthiness, operations and licensing will be used as the basis for regulating the Certified category.

The same requirements that relate to manned aircraft are applicable.

For more information refer to CAP722 – Annex C - The Certified category CAP 722

Kinda looking to do it fpv

If you manage, I’d love to know how it went. Best of luck

1 Like

The UK has control over the airspace above the sea as far as its ATC boundaries when the country adjoining takes over. There are low level routes for smaller aircraft between them in some locations and in other areas its “see and be seen” (if flying VFR)

2 Likes

Copied from BMFA article 16 guidance. Rotorcraft excluded above 400’. Or have I misunderstood what you are saying?
How high can I fly?
The new regulations limit the operation of all unmanned aircraft to 400ft above the surface. However, our Authorisation permits members to fly above 400ft, subject to:

• The model aircraft is not a rotorcraft (multi-rotor) with more than two lift generating rotors or propellers.
  • The model aircraft is not automated. (This means a model aircraft with autonomous or automatic flight capability. This does not include systems which are fitted for flight stabilisation purposes or flight termination purposes, such as free-flight termination devices).

Yes this is correct anything that’s not a drone is not limited to 400ft with article 16.

1 Like

So planes and helicopters models can go over 400 ft. Drones no unless the flying club event holder has applied for higher height. He has to sort it with the CAA not sure how mind. Lol

In my case applies to the not automated craft. No stabilisation etc, hands on sticks the whole time.

Yes this is true but you can use automated mode but it’s very limited. You can use return to home in an emergency. Panorama is aloud so the drone can turn on the spot to take pictures but is not aloud to move from its position. That’s it.

1 Like

1 Like

It’s says we can do follow mode up to 50m did not know about this. It’s on the second infographic on the right at the bottom

Letter to CAA HQ?
OR
Email drone.registration@caa.co.uk or telephone 0330 022 9930 (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm).