Where to fly my drone near derby

No never. I tend to keep out of the way and I still respect any signage concerning drones (even though it’s mostly unenforceable)

4 Likes

I’ve never seen a sign saying no drones!

Exactly this :point_up_2:

Just get out there! Go play.

4 Likes

Hiya Zack, I have been to the old Flooring Factory that is abandoned t’other side of Normanton, I have been to the chimney stax at Willington and the old church atop Breedon on the Hill. I’m thinking of going to somewhere along the canal but not sure where yet, it needs to be scouted.
GOD bless you.

1 Like

Try Bennerley Viaduct - not far from Derby. Quoting from their site:

There is a car park beside the Nottingham Canal off Newton’s Lane at grid reference SK 476 433. From here, cross to the pavement on the north side of Newton’s Lane then walk west alongside the road for 175m until a public footpath is reached after crossing the River Erewash. Follow this footpath for about another (flat) 500m with the viaduct looming larger with every step. There is also a good viewpoint of the viaduct from the Nottingham Canal at grid reference SK 475 438. This can be reached by walking north alongside the canal from Newton’s Lane for about 500 metres.

Just beyond the viaduct is an old disused waterworks site. The gate has holes cut in it by the people who take motorcycles in there. There is a lot of flat concrete to launch from and enough room to stand well clear of the nearby railway line. Just watch out for open manholes to god-knows-where (goggles not recommended) and stay on the paths (there is twisted rebar hidden in the long grass).

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve just joined and live in Belper, Derbyshire. Thanks to all those who replied to Zack’s post, it’s helped me an awful lot. I’m new to drone flying and recently took that new government enforced online registration test (passed first time). I’m disabled so looking for places I can get to easily to fly my drones. These suggestions gave me food for thought. I’ve read about that NAT app so will be getting hold of it.

A warm welcome to GADC from N E Lincs Richard. What do you fly by the way?

Hi Sean - many thanks for that greeting. I have two drones. a Holy Stone HS210 - which I’m using to try and get used to flying drones - use it mainly in the house and garden at the moment. Plus I’ve bought and equipped a DJI Phantom 2, with full FPV/camera etc.

Where about in derby are you based? I’ve spoked to the Derby’s Pleasure Grounds team about their stance on drones, and they have stated that any grounds classed as a Park under Derby City Council’s discretion are not allowed to bring machines on to the city’s parks and public open spaces based on the Byelaws of Pleasure grounds instated by Secretary of State on 16 November 1978, so that 100% writes of flying from any park in Derby unfortunatley (Fields though are a different matter :stuck_out_tongue: )

Not in Derby, live in Belper.

Good luck finding a copy of those bye-laws anywhere online, though. The only ones I can find are for the Arboretum and make no mention of drones or model aircraft. It might be worth an email asking for a link to the bye-laws, or a copy of them.

I did come across a copy of the 1979 Byelaws where it does mention all the parks and machine, I’m asusming there using the terminology machine to include RC vehicles, It was on a freedom of information, it’s the second link! :slight_smile: There is also this on the DCC Pleasure Grounds site FAQ’s
“No, flying drones is not allowed on our parks.”

And I also e-mailed them myselves to get permission to just fly on the park behind my house, sometimes you can’t be bothered to travel to practice eh :stuck_out_tongue: But even that wasn’t fruitful D:
So I’d say it isn’t worth the risk to fly from them or on them, annoyingly! I was in contact with EMA aswell over their Class D airspace because the park and my house falls in that CTR2 zone annoyingly! Time to look further afield!

I have the same drone . I live in Derbyshire and know a few good places .

Hi thank you all for the messages can you please share the location.

Hey, I’m new here and this is my first post.

I live in Derby and I want some cool places to fly instead of empty fields, so far I’ve been to a bmx track which was fun and I went to some closed down power station cooling towers which was amazing, looking for some more suggestions of where to go around Derby, so I’d appreciate a few suggestions!

Monsal viaduct! flew there last year,great place to fly,just be discreet! also the Fabric in Ashover is a great place to fly… :+1: :+1:

This is the map you need https://dronescene.co.uk/

It is a map maintained by GADC members, all the suggestions for places to fly are from people who have been there, info on permisions, parking etc is there and overlays show official flight restriction zones. Your GADC login unlocks ALL the features …

4 Likes

Fabric in Ashover ?
That’s a new one on me and i live around here .

Hi everyone I’m new too this site and flying a drone I was wondering where I could fly my DJI mini 2 at scenic sites in Derbyshire thanks

Welcome to GADC @Morts21

Your post has been moved to a thread on this very subject. Please have a read up, there is lots of useful information here.