Whitminster's A38 Canal Roundabout - Added to Rivers and Canals in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking/TOAL: 51.764994, -2.331531

I heard about this, but hadn't realised it was complete. Retrofitting a canal under a major roundabout on a very busy stretch of the A38.

In 2019, Cotswold Canals Trust was awarded vital funds by Highways England to restore parts of the Stroudwater Navigation including waterway, locks, bridges and wetlands which were destroyed when the A38/A419 roundabout and M5 were built in the late 1960s west of Stonehouse. The completion of this innovative project restores a section of canal that has been missing for nearly 50 years. The renewed stretch is constructed through the busy A38 Whitminster Roundabout, including two new bridges, a canal channel within the roundabout and a towpath under the bridge.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 26/11/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

you must drive past my place a fair few times lol, i’ve nearly done photo of that r/bout myself ( it’s just up A38 from me) since they finished it sometime ago but work/weather always seems to get in way, and you did Purton hulks not long ago. Give me a shout if your passing and want cup tea or coffee

Hi Barry, Yes, I’ve been studying a few sites on the canal network around your area :wink: You’ve got quite a selection. And it will soon be even better, once they complete Phase 1B, linking the Gloucester – Sharpness canal back to Stroud. It would be good to meet up next time I’m up that way.

I want to fly here @clinkadink, but there are no parking or take off and landing markers. Would you be able to add some to the map please?

That @clinkadink bloke is gonna be busy :smiley:

4 Likes

Can’t believe he’s let them lapse and not already updated his locations :joy:

2 Likes