Why is my Mini 2 disconnecting from the controller?

So the last 4 flights I have done on the first battery.
Then all other flights have been ok
After all the pre flight checks,with all the satellites and the audible warning to check the home point on the screen.
All the firmware and updates are the latest .
So when I take off all is well ,then at approximately 20-50 feet high and the same distance away it loses connection I get a black screen and the Rth starts ,then the video feed comes back and I cancel Rth,then all is well
Using an ipad air 3 as I have always used with mo problems until now .
Just a bit unnerving when the black screen comes.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The device (your iPad) is largely irrelevant here, you can rule that out from a controller-disconnect :+1:t2:

What type of environment are you flying in? Urban? Countryside?

Countryside

So is this only on one battery or all of them ?

1 Like

To be honest I’m not really sure ,all of them I think as I rotate every time I fly ,all numbered I have 4.

Reading through the Mini2 section of DJI’s forum I see a few are experiencing disconnect issues, and a few where the drone refuses to rebind with the controller. Many appear to be pointing the finger at the trove of 1.4.12 releases and/or the most recent firmware release.

Things you could try would be to roll back the App and/or firmware.

As DJI-Fly progressively supports more DJI products the general rule of thumb is to not update it unless there is some new feature or resource specific to the drone you’re using, and only after those still too trusting of DJI have updated and reported back. It’s for this reason that many of us have not updated since V1. 4.02 for use with our Mini2’s.

As for disconnecting at such short range… There could be multiple reasons. Just because you’re out in the countryside doesn’t mean you would be free of Interference, though the risks would be much reduced. Just the other day while using my FCC modded Anafi I experienced signal issues while only about 10metres away. I was using ch165 which is not a standard WiFi channel in the UK, and the Anafi App showed that the channel was Interference free because it only registers WiFi activity. But when I monitored the channel on a portable spectrum analyser I could see a high noise floor. I suspect I’d flown into the path of a nearby microwave link. Now the Mini2 uses the much more robust Ocusync2 transmission system than the Anafi’s vanilla Wi-Fi but under the wrong conditions it too can be prone to signal blocking.

1 Like

Thank you
Bit of a mystery.

Have you tried it with Airplane mode turned on to see if it makes any difference?

I would uninstall the app and then do a fresh install which is always the best option rather than just updating

Force close all other apps and put in air plane mode

If that makes no difference you could try to refresh the firmware

Thank you
Will give it a try.:+1:

@Olly50 I was having the same problems with a phone that is on the DJI recommended list. I was after a bigger screen anyway so waited until the 8" tablet arrived. I did not however put the latest DJI Fly app on!!! After reading through here I used the 1.4.02 that @Nidge mentions above, all problems gone on both the phone and the tablet.

Thanks for the info Joe
Yes I have 1.4.12 maybe it’s that what’s doing it.

I would definitely roll back and see how you go

You may have a problem rolling back, as far as I know, you cant with ios