Why shoot Raw

I had a question to ask re RAW so thought better to use this old thread than start a fresh.

I have only recently started playing with RAW images. I recently switched my Nikon DSLR to Jpeg + RAW however when I try to edit the file cannot be loaded it opens and can be viewed fine. Also (may not be related) They store as NEF files is this different to RAW?

Excuse my n00b’ness :joy: I’m used to full auto Jpeg!

1 Like

NEF files are RAW files, just Nikon’s version. What are you trying to open the NEF file with?

2 Likes

Any ideas on Free editing software for RAW files. I have just started using UFRaw With GIMP and was wondering as its quite full on!! :sob: if there are any other free ones that are recommended?

1 Like

I use Lightroom myself, but check this out - Best Free RAW Photo Editor | Top 5 Best Free RAW Editor (movavi.com)

2 Likes

Thanks @Drumsagard I was trying to open them in Snapseed.

1 Like

Veery helpful thanks, I will try a few of these to find the one that suits me best :+1:

1 Like

Lightroom on your mobile device will open them. Free for the basic functionality.

3 Likes

depends what I’m shooting, if it’s an event where I’m taking 3000 images a day i stick with jpgs for memory issues and i don’t want to edit heavily.

I use raw if shooting specific landscapes and commercial shoots as the file offers so much scope to edit in post.

generally i shoot both formats in case.

Excellent workflow - to folks new to RAW it may seem a bit time consuming at first but once your in the swing you can really motor on, create presets etc - do your creations justice!

Sony do the same. I have to convert to standard raw before editing.

2 Likes