Why the Mavic Mini blows away so easily

What a way to start the New Year; a midnight hunt in fields for a Mavic Mini that’s blown away. I still love the Mini but really, I think 2020 will be the year of Mini Blowaways…

This time I use AirData.com and find out exactly why experienced flyers are still getting caught out with the Mini and the wind…
Cheers,
Ian

8 Likes

Excellent video @ianinlondon and I enjoyed the fireworks footage despite everything that followed!

1 Like

Try the UAV Forecast website and APP https://www.uavforecast.com/ (I’m a user not affiliated)

If you subscribe there is a “Wind Profile” tab that shows you wind speeds at different altitudes.

Maybe this can help?

2 Likes

Will check that out… The altitude wind chart on AirData was a real eye-opener too…

If you get the mobile APP I found a free way to check the wind at higher levels.

On the main page tap the WIND square and then it lets you set MAX Wind and Wind Altitude.

Since you knew roughly how high you wanted to be to capture the fireworks this might have helped you see the higher winds up there.

3 Likes

I wonder, as we get closer to summer, if the Mavic Mini will take the tittle of being the first multirotor you can also thermal soar! It’s already shown it can happily slope soar.

Nidge

4 Likes

Great video and now subscribed to your YouTube channel

1 Like

Cheers! Think I’ll be doing a bit of Mavic Mini testing in the wind over the next few weeks and doing a tutorial on how to avoid blowaways and what to do if you’re experiencing one! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

be really nice if they could put wind speed on drone so you could see the gusts up there
perhaps a miniture blue tooth Digital Anemometer you could fix to the drone or even to another drone that you can send up first

You could switch the drone to ATTI and see what speed it reaches with zero control input :+1:t2:

2 Likes

AirData.com will calculate that from the flight data, using the known model, user inputs and tilt of the drone to work out the wind speed at any given moment of the flight, then present it in a nice graph. Shame it’s after the event so to say, but you see this at 5:03 on the video:

Or just watch how much it’s blowing in the wrong direction… :rofl:
Is there a simple way to switch to ATTI mode Rich?

how quick is it to do that because I could put a Mavic 2 or Air up before flying the mini
sort of defeats having the mini but like what you was doing fireworks it would work

https://fttechnologies.com/wind-sensors/lightweight/ft205/

could try this

Would be better to have real-time calculation using the same principles of AirData but as you fly… Your GPS drift, pitch, motor speed and stick input are all the info that’s needed to calculate the wind speed at any time. The Fly and Go 4 apps must be doing that sort of calc in order to put up the high wind warnings…

2 Likes

well judging by the amount of videos on Mavic minis blown away Dji might have to put live data on the app
keep those vids coming Ian :+1: always interesting and informative

1 Like

Well, looking at the voltage drop you get along the flight, then cross-referencing it with the ESC Insufficient power errors, it seems to me that on breezy days it all goes tits up after your battery level drops below 60%… I see another wind test coming on… (Poor Mini) :rofl:

2 Likes

I read somewhere else the same thing about mini drifting after bat dropped bellow 60% going to go search now

Also have a look at “Windy”
This will run on a PC, Android and IOS apps.
Shows a wind map at various levels.

That’s exactly what I do with most of my GPS position hold capable models. More often than not I fly in ATTI, using position hold to keep the model stationary if I need to go hands off the controller.

Nidge.

1 Like