WiFi connection issue

Evening all,
thank you for this lovely community you maintain.
I have got today my first drone (CSJ S162 S162 RC - it comes under many names though).
Everything was fine up until trying to connect to the drone wifi.
The wifi was there but only my laptop (but the JY applicaiton crashes as soon as it starts) and the cell of my daughter (STK 1max with android) can see it.
No matter what I do, I am not able to even see the SSID on mine and my wife’s phone (Huawei and Asus - with android).
I have already:

• restarted several time the drone and the phones.
  • tried to add the SSID name manually.
  • tried to switch the data connection off (I read somewhere this might solve the problem).

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Stefano

It sounds like a common issue with many European Android devices.

The frequencies allocated to WiFi are region based. As an example in Europe the 2.4GHz WiFi band has 13 channels but in the USA only 11 channels are available. In your situation it sounds like the drone is operating on the 5GHz WiFi band which will add more frustration.

You don’t actually say what specific model of phone you are trying to use. If it’s an older smartphone it may not even have the ability to access the 5GHz, as an example my Samsung J5 only has 2.4GHz WiFi.

If your phone does have 5GHz WiFi but is not seeing the drone we now see another example of region specific frequencies. In General Android devices sold in Europe only cover the Euro allocated frequencies. Again as an example my Samsung S7 works on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but it cannot see the WiFi broadcast from one of my cameras because the camera was configured for the American market.

The majority of iOS devices (iPads and iPhones) don’t have this issue and surprisingly my two main Android devices, Huawei M5lite8 tablet and Huawei P30Lite smartphone, can both access all WiFi allocations.

One possible solution. As your daughter’s phone can see the drone is it possible via the APP to change the WiFi channel the drone is working on? If so if you can select either a 2.4 GHz channel or a European 5GHz channel then your smart device may also be able to then connect.

Nidge.

2 Likes