Wilton Windmill - Added to Wind Farms in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

About 15 minutes from Marlborough in the car. Parking is in a lay-by in the country lane, adjacent to the windmill location. There is a gate which needs to be closed after you walk through. The windmill is about 100m from the gate on the right. Owned by Wiltshire Council, the operation and maintenance of the windmill relies on the visitors money to keep it going. There is a donation box on the top gate by the windmill.

Set high above the village of Wilton, in the heart of the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Beauty, about 9 miles south east of Marlborough in Wiltshire, Wilton Windmill is the only working windmill in Wessex and still produces wholemeal, stone-ground flour.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 09/09/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like

I went there at the weekend and drones are NOT permitted to fly there. Not sure if this is new restriction since you went there.

Hi @Trumps and welcome to GADC, do you have any links to the byelaws that back up the restrictions?

2 Likes

There is nothing to support this on their website, which is updated frequently. Nor their FB page or Twitter page. David Jackson is the secretary, maybe worth giving him a bell.

Regardless, it is not in or near a FRZ, so even if their policy now states ‘no drones’, it is unenforceable. But out of courtesy, you may wish to ask permission.

1 Like

I know, I looked at these before I went and didn’t see anything either, and I read all the information displayed on the information boards regarding the windmill, then conducted a 20min flight. I was challenged by a young man who said drones were not permitted, and he pointed to a sign of an image of a drone with a cross through it, which I simply had not seen. I ceased immediately and it was all done very amicably and without any cross words, but I thought I should mention it.

1 Like

Good to mention, but a worthless sign :o)

2 Likes

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @clinkadink :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve just added a new Parking marker to this location @clinkadink :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @clinkadink :grin:

1 Like