Wing foiling at Bewl Water, Kent, England on a light wind day

Hi All, so this is my first ‘post’ on this forum so hope I’ve done it correctly! I’ve enjoyed numerous photos and videos by others, so thought I’d share a sample of some DJI Mini 2 drone footage I recorded of a ‘wingfoiling’ friend on Bewl Water, Kent, England. Wingfoiling is my primary ‘go to’ hobby which I do myself, but I also really enjoy capturing videos and photos of friends - the recordings actually help them critique their own technique / stance and perfect in time. If you have not seen ‘wingfoiling’ before it is a relatively new sport whereby you hold a handheld wing to accelerate the board up onto a hydrofoil, you can then glide at speed across a body of water - extremely addictive and I’ve seen guys at least 70 years old doing it. Just so you know Bewl do not ordinarily allow drone flight, but I am lucky to have an arrangement with them where I often record videos for their own use and so they allow me to record watersports on the reservoir. Hope you enjoy the clip - I do have various other drone videos on my Utube channel some with high speed chasing of fast windsurfer colleagues.

2 Likes

i bet his arms are tired at the end :hot_face:

Good footage, I also love filming kites, wings etc. I can offer some top tips to get smoother footage if you like?

Hi there @supersimo1980 , yes the arms do get punished with Wingfoiling, but it’s good exercise! Thanks for taking a look at my video :+1:

Hey @richardmarsh888 , yes please that would be fab :pray:

1 Like

Best advise I can give is to remember that the right stick (roll / pitch) is corrected by the gimbal. Sudden Yaw movements however (left) make the video jerky. When tracking a surfer, set the speed and direction with your right hand and then put 80% focus into keeping the yaw smoothly panning.

And always set the controller up to allow you to adjust exposure in the air. I have lots of over exposed videos from the early days!