Wizzair drone policy

But every phone, ipad, laptop has lithium batteries….

Theres only one rule that applies to drones on Wizzair, or ANY airline. Don’t try flying it onboard the aircraft. Probably best not to fly it in the terminal either.

That’s for as hold luggage/cargo. The international guidelines allow lithium batteries up to 100Wh to be held in carry-on luggage.

The concern is mainly about lithium batteries in the hold where they can’t be mitigated if they do combust, or spare lithium batteries in the cabin which aren’t attended if they short-circuit and the fire progresses before being noticed.

Your batteries will be under 100Wh and they can be carried safely and legally in carry-on luggage.

But as with all things it is best to check the individual airlines policy, Emirates for example do not ‘allow’ drones in carry on luggage.

Mr. Moneybags are we?

1 Like

Family in the UAE, been lucky enough to have a fair few jollies there ;o)

1 Like

Luckily the flight didn’t get cancelled, only 3 hours delayed.

Thanks for this “heads-up” Chris @milkmanchris Was looking to bring back a Mini 3 and fly more plus from Dubai later this year and could well have fallen foul of this rule.
Am I correct in saying that drone must be in checked luggage, but Li-Po batteries must be in hand luggage in Li-Po bags ??
Cheers
Rob

1 Like

Not much cheaper in the UAE ;o(

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/before-you-fly/travel/dangerous-goods-policy/

For the most part - in Western Europe at least - security screening at airports is not directly connected to airlines. So, even if WizzAir had a policy that stated drones weren’t allowed in carry-on baggage, it is extremely unlikely that airport security at [say] Luton would prevent a passenger taking a drone through. That’s not to say a well-informed staff member at airport security might notice a drone and say “you are aware that your airline doesn’t allow them to be carried on?” but its unlikely to go further than a casual comment. It is equally unlikely that staff at airline checkin desks will specifically ask passengers if they have a drone in their carry-on - or indeed search carry-in bags at boarding gates for drones. On this basis, I really wouldn’t worry too much about taking a drone in a carry-on [in Western Europe!] unless it is overtly obvious.

However, in some parts of the world airport operations are much more tightly integrated with the local airlines, and in such circumstances it is far more likely security checkpoint staff will seek implement airline policy. One such case may well be Dubai, and particularly flying with Emirates, especially as hobby drone flying has now been prohibited in the UAE. I really wouldn’t want to push my luck there.

1 Like

They are on sale in the toy and model shops in all the Malls.

Its also not prohibited to fly, bit stricter than here, and UAE jails are not the nicest for Western Gentlemen

https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/pages/UASRegistration.aspx