Would these batteries be suitable for field charging?

I have been gifted two of the following, brand new and unused. I didn’t really have a use for them but they were free and going to recycling otherwise. They were originally going to be used as a backup power supply inside a machine which has now been scrapped.

If I connect them in parallel I’ll keep the 12v and can then wire up a usbC output for plugging into. My battery knowledge is very limited so I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle when I can just buy one of these

What about charging them? ie how and with what?

TIA

2 Likes

They’ll be fine I use similar

As for charging use your M2 charger

2 Likes

Which ones are you refering to @milkmanchris ?
The ones from RS components or the one from Amazon?

1 Like

The amazon one (sorry read in haste)

Someone like @Steviegeek will be better placed to answer on the other front

1 Like

The batteries from RS are 12V lead acid batteries. Similar are used in the security industry. You would need a 12V battery charger.
IMO, unless you have a charger it’s probably not worth the cost of the charger. They are 2.1Ah (appprox) and would have cost around a fiver.
They are designed as back up batteries and not really suitable for deep discharge IE running 'til flat.
The other battery pack, as @milkmanchris said work very well, I use two when away as a convenient USB charging point. Charge 2 phones over night with one battery, recharge during the day. Saves taking two chargers.

2 Likes

thanks @FFf
I have two small chargers here that I use for my batteries on ride on mower so I wouldn’t need to buy anything then. But at a little over 4000mAh I’d only get two batteries charged for the mini2 or less than one charge for the remote. Not really worth the effort or hassle when I can have the 30000mAh one here for tomorrow.

1 Like

I use a power pack for emergency charging (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B096HBVLWV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I can charge the power pack from my car and my Mavic 3 batteries from the pack. Its not super quick but enough to get another flight when needed.

1 Like

This charger should take power straight from that USB C power bank directly…

Of course I’m thinking of for FPV lipos… lol

1 Like

thanks all, I’ve decided against messing about with those batteries and orderred the power bank in the link. A little over 30000mAh (7 x more capacity) and will also easily fit in a pocket/rucksack when I’m camping, plus a lot lighter!!!

1 Like

I use a 45,000mAh Powerbank that has 240VoltAC, 12V@10Amp, and four USB, outputs. It’s about the size of a large paperback book.

I use it to charge most of my Smart Batteries (Spark, Anafi, FPV Drone, Mini2, Poweregg X, etc) when out and about, along with my USB devices. I also use it around the garden for powering various toys as it’s easier than lugging an extension cable about.

1 Like

looks nice… got a link to it?

1 Like

I did look at these in one of your previous posts and revisited them again today. But I decided on something a bit more portable. I do quite a bit of wild camping and fishing so the light weight and portability won the argument. I am still seriously considering one of those packs for car camping though :+1:

1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=portable+power+station&crid=MU6PCDQFGXTY&sprefix=portable+power+statio%2Caps%2C222&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

1 Like

I bought it off Amazon about five years ago and the link I could supply goes to a “Currently Unavailable” listing. I’m sure it’s still available under a different brand name, as most of these Chinese manufactured devices are.

Powkey 200W Portable Power Station with Carrying Case,146Wh/39459mAh Solar Generator with 200W AC Outlet for Outdoor RV Trip Travel Home Office Emergency https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CN8TLH3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_V4W99ZPT61Y2PFY34AVA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1