XDynamics Evolve 2 - Mavic 3 Alternative?

This little beauty looks interesting …

With the Mavic 3 price expected to be fairly high does this become a competitor ?? $3699 :man_shrugging:

The RC looks amazing :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

It certainly does!

1 Like

$3,699.00, the RC on its own is $999.00

Camera resolution for stills is less than the 3-year old Mavic 2 Pro.

2 Likes

I wonder what the drone manufacturer Evolve Dynamics (Sky Mantis) make of this new “XDynamics Evolve”?!

It may prove to be a viable alternative in the USA, but for everywhere else not so much as initially it won’t be available anywhere else.

Interestingly XDynamics registered the Evolve trademark in the UK in 2016. The drone was released in 2017 but never made it to our shores through UK dealers and I don’t believe there were any dealers within mainland Europe.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that mean the Evolve 2 would produce a better photo than the M2Pro.

The Evolve 2 has a micro 4/3 sensor with 12mp resolution. The M2Pro had a 1 inch sensor and 20mp resolution.
As the m4/3 sensor is larger than the 1 inch sensor - even if they were the same resolution - say 12mp - then the m4/3 would be better as the pixel size would be larger with benefits of improved clarity, less noise and improved low light performance.
With the Evolve 2 having a larger sensor than the M2Pro and a lower resolution (12 vs 20mp) then the pixels on the Evolve 2 must be much larger and should therefore perform better than the M2Pro.
Just my understanding - perfectly happy to be put straight though :man_shrugging: :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

It’s not all about kit

Better photographers will get better results with a very low spec camera.

That was lesson 2 at uni for me.

Can’t argue with that …….
…… but the same photographer with better kit would produce betterer photos …… no??? …. otherwise “pros” would still be using a Brownie box cameras :man_shrugging:t2::wink:

2 Likes

Define better, if you mean print bigger with little loss of quality or pin sharp then I’d agree.

But a better photo, is all about whats behind the camera

I’m just thinking of the very same photographer but with just better equipment … ie the person behind the camera is a constant.

Pass, post up your best M2Z photo and your best M2 one and let people decide ?

Not sure if a 4/3 sensor would produce better images than an aps-c size sensor, either way they are both crop sensors so the difference is likely negligible. If you really care about image quality just go full format and never look back.

1 Like

I would say the best bonus camera wise here is the fact that you can use whatever glass you want on it, now that will make a much bigger difference on image quality.

1 Like

Sorry - but I have no idea what a comparison of 2 of my photos has to do with the tech specs for the Evolve 2 and the M2Pro :man_shrugging: - I know my photos are crap and I don’t need anybody to tell me either.
What I’m trying to understand is which drone has the better camera specs. Kvetner suggests the M2Pro is best whilst I believe its the Evolve 2 - and I’m just looking for someone to explain which is the better spec and why :man_shrugging: :+1:

That I would fully agree with :+1: :+1: :+1:

Agree with full format but unfortunately neither of these drones have such sensors. I’m just trying to understand which is better and why. I have expressed my thoughts and I just want someone to confirm or explain to me why I’m wrong - purely from a tech spec perspective. :thinking: :+1: :+1:

Personally I’d take an aps-c sensor over a 4/3 every day of the week, but I don’t think the difference between them is particularly massive and my preference is mainly down to form factor and focal lengths. Glass will make a much bigger difference so in this instance if you are willing to also invest in top quality glass then the 4/3 will certainly produce much nicer images.

I’m no technical photography expert. The 12mp Evolve will clearly be better than the 12mp M2Z due to the bigger sensor. It should have less noise and better image fidelity than the M2Z (but not necessarily - depends on lens and processor as well as sensor size), and clearly less resolution of detail. I’m just surprised they aren’t doing 20mp on the larger sensor. I guess wait and see what the Mav 3 specs are and wait for some real photo comparisons!

Me too - but I understand the aim was get larger pixels which would improve the the low light capability and reduce noise. Some other videos I’ve watched indicate satisfactory results when using an ISO as high as 5000 :open_mouth:

Just as an aside - this other review has indicated there are quite a few software niggles the worst being the excessive latency of the video feed to the RC. The version on test was a pre-production version and software improvements have been flowing quite rapidly. Still a very expensive bit of kit to be suffering such issues. Guess we’ll have to wait and see a review of a final production version.

PS - I’m no tech expert either but was just as confused as you were by the 12mp - just trying to understand the whys and wherefores :man_shrugging: :sunglasses: :grinning: