2017 Fireworks Challenge

The Grey Arrows Drone Club are pleased to announce the first in a series of exciting new Challenges!

Here’s your chance to win a super rare, exclusive badge to grace your Profile page! Haven’t heard of GADC’s awesome new awards? Check out our recent announcement regarding Badges, Awards and Challenges.

Our first challenge is the ‘2017 Fireworks Challenge’ and the objective is simple - post some stunning pictures and videos of fireworks!

The winners, as voted by other GADC members, will be awarded an exclusive champion’s trophy badge.

We have three awards available for you to win in our first challenge. They are:

1st Place Winner - Gold Trophy

2nd Place Winner - Silver Trophy

3rd Place Winner - Bronze Trophy

The rules and small print for this challenge are as follows:

• You must post a picture or video to this thread (feel free to also post / duplicate it in the #media category if you wish). Media posted to other threads and categories will not be eligible

• This challenge is open from 23rd October 2017 to 13th November 2017, the closing date. Media posted to this thread outside of these dates will not be eligible

• GADC members can cast their ‘vote’ by simply clicking the ‘Like’ button on each post they wish to vote for

• GADC members can Like as many entries / posts in each Challenge as they wish

• You may post and submit as many entries as you wish to this Challenge

• Media must be shot using your drone

• Please abide by the Drone Code when shooting your media

• The post with the highest number of Likes at 22:00hrs on the closing date will be deemed the winner and that member will be awarded the exclusive 1st Place Gold Trophy. The post with the second highest number of Likes will be awarded the 2nd Place Silver Trophy and the post with the third highest number of Likes will be awarded the 3rd Place Bronze Trophy

• Any Likes cast after the closing date of the challenge will be declared ineligible

• In the event of a tie at any position the Grey Arrows Drone Club reserve the right to declare an outright winner at that position

1 Like

Anybody up for this one??

Much as I’d love to join in on this one. I don’t think I’d be able to!

I usually spend fireworks each year trying to protect and comfort my poor dog. Despite her size she is absolutely terrified of fireworks the poor thing :disappointed_relieved:

Round this way it sounds like World War 3 is kicking off all over the fireworks weekend(s). They’ve already started too, seems to be a month long event!

I have a cunning plan coming together for this challenge…

1 Like

1 Like

As long as it’s nothing that involves weaponising your drone with Roman Candles! :rofl:

Spoil sport nothing in the drone code saying I Carnot :+1::grinning:

1 Like

sounds like fun :slight_smile:

I Don’t like fireworks but at least I can watch them from a distance with the drone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was hoping to get the drone up on the 5th if the weather playing ball.

Some useful tips for capturing fireworks in this video. Be warned, the guy can get a bit intense. :wink:

1 Like

Uh-oh… it’s my mate(?) Dylan!

1 Like

So what’s it like where you all live for fireworks? Round here, they’ve been going off all week, literally - it’s going to be mayhem come Fri / Sat / Sun!

I was debating higher ground, for those in the north west, imagine what you’d see from the top of Winter Hill on firework night??

Winter Hill stands some 1,500ft (450m) above sea level. So taking off from there, you could (legally) fly at 1,900ft (or 570m) :clap:t2:

And usually into next week around here. I live near Heathrow and just realised you can fire off as many rockets as you like almost at the end of the runway which reach huge heights yet try to fly a drone over 400m…:confused:

400m ???

Feet…feet…never got the hang of these dang new-fangled metric thingies. Still working in rods and cubits. :persevere:

Just got in from a very local firework display. To say I’m disappointed would be true but then again, in hindsight, not unexpected.

Why? I only have the Mavic or the Spark nowadays and both are, being honest, pretty pants in low light :unamused:. Tonight was no exception as I could not get the Mavic to accurately focus on the exploding rockets. It’s probably my fault I know, but I tried both autofocus and tap screen focus and the results very extremely poor. I missed being able to set a small aperture on my Inspire 1 Pro, which would have captured sharp focus over a wide range/distance. Similarly I missed my P2 with a GoPro attached - maybe I should invest in a Karma :astonished: ahh, shudder the thought :hushed:.

So, the end of this little saga is that, unfortunately I will not be entering the Fireworks challenge :sob::sob::sob: Good luck to those who do.

Sorry to hear that. Yes, Mavics are not known for low light performance. However, it might have helped to turn autofocus off and shoot on manual.

I did consider that but both the starting and end points of each rocket was different as the bases were, it now appears, set out in a large (150 ft) semicircle making manual focus very difficult.

Hmmm… Sorry to hear that, Barry.

I’ve only flown a couple of times at night and also suffered focus issues on my Mavic, but others here seem to have taken some amazing photos in low light and dark conditions. I’m still wondering what their secret is :slight_smile:

Im really looking forward to seeing what photo’s and videos get posted. Unfortunately due to a bad case of man flu i ended up sleeping through the big firework display in my town :joy: