2019 Mixed Theme Challenge

Thats the place for sure. Nice video. :+1:

Thanks for sharing… You flying in FPV? Makes me feel a bit queasy :nauseated_face: but amazing flying skills :+1:

Yea flying fpv last year. I hadn’t been flying acro very long st that point so watching that vrs my flying now I can really see how I have improved :slight_smile:

My entry is the Catcliffe Glass Cone, in Catcliffe, Rotherham. It is the oldest structure of this type in Western Europe and it is 1 of only 4 in the UK. It was built in 1750 as a glassworks and closed in 1887 and was later used as a First World War POW camp. And is now grade 1 listed.
Thanks Wikipedia

6 Likes

Planning to get out on Monday, Hmmmmm where to go I wonder ?

Port, Steelworks, etc…

2 Likes

looking nice lozzer, how’re your nerves flying over water.
What drone are you using?
are there any sensors on?

Cheers… Was fun… Mavic 2 pro… Sensors were off as when on, it kept forcing the bird away from the water.

Rain stopped play as usual…however still a good picture.

My entry for industry was shot at sheerness docks. The vehicles coming out of the ship are all imports that will be stored at the docks awaiting delivery to UK dealerships. There is another ship moored just ahead of the Comet Ace that (unfortunately for me) had finished being unloaded by the cranes along the quayside. On the upper left of the photo is Grain fort and in the distance is Southend.
Hope this qualifies as a valid entry for the Industry category as there isn’t much else interesting near me.

10 Likes

Taken this morning 7th May 2019

I hope my new car is on there!
Been waiting long enough!!

2 Likes

Some nice shots in here folks. Wish i could join in but only found GADC yesterday… LOL

It’s never too late to enter!

The people who posted entries for the first theme might not be able to get entries for the second, third, or fourth :wink:

Ahh @PingSpike I sort of presumed one had to post within those dates… ok, will look in my recent shots folder for something to share. Water shouldn’t be an issue, we have plenty of it in Wales!!!

Don’t forget the entries have to be taken during each 2 week period. :wink:

1 Like

Indeed and why I said my ‘recent shots’ folder :slight_smile:

1 Like

ADMIN EDIT: Sorry, this entry was posted after the window for the first theme had closed

• Week 1 & 2 - Water
    – From 19/04/19 to 03/05/19
    Lakes, reservoirs, ponds, canals, the sea, etc

Despite the fact that we supply water to a lot of the UK, Wales can and does get some amazing sunsets and light shows… this shot is of one of the upper lakes at Calon Lan park about 20min drive from me and somewhere I frequent trying different angles, etc… this was the first time I got my drone up as prior times it has always been too windy. Admittedly, not the best shot but it’s one you simply can’t get on foot.

For those that want to see the where then try this link: Google Maps

3 Likes

Week 3 & 4 - Industry
Solar farms, cooling towers, railways, ports, etc
– From 03/05/19 to 17/05/19

There is almost always a reason I get to go out with my drone and it’s usually “wasting time”. For this image I was playing family chauffeur and went to a location I hadn’t visited in years, even though it is less than 3 miles from my house. Last time I walked up this hill in the picture there was just a Trig point and sheep. Now they share it with a wind turbing and two mobile masts.

So what industry is this… I see 3. Farming, telecommunications and power generation. You might suggest I’m pushing my luck :innocent:

My drones approx position was: here for this shot.

6 Likes

Industry
Taken 11/05/19 05:00 ish
Swan Hunters, Wallsend

I live a mile away from the world famous Swan Hunter Ship Yard once the best ship building yard in the world until closure in 2006. When I was at school in the mid 80’s you couldn’t get moved in Wallsend for the thousands of workers from Swans going for lunch in the town. The town was always busy and booming with the ship building industry but sadly now its dead with the town full of vape shops and secondhand shops. This site is now being developed for the offshore wind industry.

5 Likes

Taken in what was the Industrial heartland of Wales. Dowlais Top In Merthyr Tydfil. A now dying sight of a fully loaded coal train departing Cwmbargoed. The loco will run around it’s train before heading down the steep South Wales Valley. Taken today at 10am using my Mavic Air. Dowlais is notable within Wales and Britain for it historic association with ironworking, once employing roughly 5000 people, in works the largest in the world at one stage.

7 Likes