360 Spherical Panoramas

I think they have a 10mb limit … or something like that.
Can’t recall if pixel limited too,

In any case - browsers are usually twitchy over 4096 wide … and I know it accepts that size.

I got down to 15MB. Shame as with Hangar it looks like your seeing the full resolution image. Zooming in gives similar detail to the unprocessed file.

Cheers for assistance anyway mate. Will start again tomorrow.

2 Likes

Which is another reason I’m lusting after Hangar! LOL!

I now fully understand your frustration :wink:

Hope it comes to Android soon. Would be nice to have it on phone.

What do you think their intentions are though?

Its free, no adverts so no revenue. I know they now own the copyright to the image but what’s in it for them?

Who knows … with many free apps.
Even Twitter was advert free once! :stuck_out_tongue:
Perhaps they’re hoping DJI buys their Hangar 360 for inclusion into Go4, making them millions!
… in which case, I hope that too! LOL!

They’ve been emailed re Android … we’ll see what they say.

1 Like

Were they all taken using Litchi? Or are you importing the hanger-snapped pics?

This could be an issue…

OR :smiley:

Perhaps GADC could offer full-res pano-hosting to its members? Not sure what the financial cost of that would be, but I’ll check it out if there’s enough interest? If someone could let me know what the average full hires pano weighs in at? Is it the 104MB that @callum mentions?

It’s a loss-leader for their $30 Autopilot app :+1:

http://autoflight.hangar.com/autopilot/

Their loss, our gain :rofl:

1 Like

I have a full res .png from the Go4 RAW images that’s cranking 162mb … and that was the rather dismal foggy pic with almost no detail! LOL! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s also 20,480 wide … so wouldn’t display (in most browsers) with that frame script we’ve been using.

It’s a 21mb .png @ 4096 wide.

1 Like

Hmmm…

It’s a safe bet that Hangar isn’t delivering a 162mb file to the browser :slight_smile:

I wonder what the acceptable trade off is in filesize vs resolution / quality :thinking:

It’s a tough one to determine … without being able to host the same image at resolutions above 4096 wide to do the comparison.

Back in the original pano hosting discussion thread (Hosting pano/360 photos) there was another way of showing them which needed something to be in place on the server?

This would have enabled a “better” method to show them, that also allowed for full screen display.

@RaRaRasputin put up an example on his server : Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Error

That example is 19mb … and if you zoom in, there’s more than enough detail.

If we were to fully host them at a higher res, etc, that method is a preferable one, imo.

(I think there were some stitching issues in that causing some blur - not the method of displaying panoramas.)

Edit:

1. With people uploading to the GADC server, there was also the issue that the forum’s media cleanup routine deleted the images, since it didn’t recognise the use of the images in that script, or the one we currently use.
    This problem would need to be resolved. (Hence using imgur)
  2. What would be really cool would be an automated routine to upload and create the relevant script for them. I don’t have those skills, but perhaps someone does.
    It would save having to copy/paste/edit those lines of HTML.

… just thinking aloud, here. :wink:

An observation about hangar.

it looks as if it’s almost streaming sections on demand.

Open up a Hangar image on your phone that you’ve not looked at before or clear your cache.

Move to a section and zoom in quickly. You will see it update and the quality jump.

Turning on airplane mode after you’ve loaded an image, if you move from your current view you get a load error.

Ones running through script on here seem to load completely to your browser and once loaded then use no data.

1 Like