400ft Height Limit

Hi All, I’ve been kindly invited to this group by Milkmanchris after a post I put on Facebook regarding photographs I managed to take above and around the humber bridge, Hull UK. I admit that I flew above the 400ft ASL that is implied in the drone code however, there has been a big debate regarding if I broke the code or not. Many people on the forum had some negative attitude towards the post and some positive.

Could anyone throw in their opinions regarding the height restriction in the UK above objects when flying drones.

I know in the USA there 400ft height is to sea level or 400ft max altitude above a structure or object.

I have attached a link regarding this video

Below is the Facebook link regarding the post I put up

Could this rule apply in the UK apart from the 400ft above ground?

Thank you

3 Likes

Too many drone police on there Dexter, hence the invite, much more relaxed here.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to GADC.

I’ve removed the link to other group to avoid whatever happened there spilling over to here.

We are pretty relaxed here and open to all discussions in a civilised manner.

I’m sure you will hear everyone’s thoughts on the matter shortly.

1 Like

Ok thank you

Typical some idiot giving us law abiding fliers a bad name. The code was perfectly clear from day one that’s why they had clarify it.
Where was I going with this. Buggered if I know.
Welcome to the site fella.:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

It’s actually the surface so unlike our yank cousins we can’t do 400ft above Blackpool Tower. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

I do not now actively go on any other Forum, Facebook, etc because of all the back biting and bitching that goes on within the various groups.
I had one guy who got very personal over a flight I done in Tromso in excess of 400ft (nearly 3 years ago), soon shot him down, saying that at that time that “no 400 feet height restrictions were not in place at that time”, so what the f@@k was he talking about !

1 Like

Ha. Good old FB. Peoples opinions on there are like arseholes, everyone has one and just like an arsehole, they spout a load of s**t.

Haha that’s what it felt like. Obviously it’s something I wouldn’t do again, but good to know for the future. Do you think the laws will ease for recreational flyers or get more stringent?

I should have added to my post above that I had authorisation from Tromso Airport ATC to fly at
“whatever altitude I like !”
1,500 feet it was then !!:+1:

1 Like

I know it’s a muted subject, but how high have you flown @chrisjohnbaker ?

exactly what I said 1,500 feet in Norway, and I should add the ONLY time !.
(Max Height of Mavic Pro)
(Still taken from my original video, from a post last year)

Shame I did not take my Phantom 2 Vison + !

5 Likes

While on the subject of height limits?.
When I was on my Cruise a few weeks back, I had to watch the height limits of each Country I visited, as they all differed (Spain, France ,Italy ).
So a word of warning to anyone travelling abroad, check the height limits of the country you are visiting.
And. also the distance you can fly away from your take off point.

1 Like

Hi all I’m a newbie so don’t quote me on this but I do believe it’s 400ft from were u are standing

No. It’s the surface. So if you are in a valley then as you take off and go 400ft up. Then as you fly up the valley side your height can increase as the higher up the side of the valley the drone goes. So if yo are at the bottom of a 300ft hill and you hover above the crown of the hill you can be 700ft higher than where you are standing.

1 Like

What about in terms of bridges and buildings that are 400ft tall?

So if I’m on top of a 400ft building and the drone code States u can fly u your drone 400ft that means I can fly 800ft ?

6 Likes

Its 400ft from the surface, the bottom of a building is at the surface.

1 Like

So like dextercutt2019 said what if your on a beige say it’s 100ft high does that mean I can’t only fly my drone 300ft

Really - that diagram I posted tells you everything.

It’s simple - 400ft from the surface.

2 Likes