7 inch quad build thread. Start to finish

Time for an update…
Whilst @notveryprettyboy 's build, running BF, is streaking across the clouds making an awesome sound like it’s carrying it’s own tunnel with it…
Mine has been a pain in the ass.
Navigation flight mode problems with iNav which I could not resolve, so moved over to Ardupoilot.
Much more succesfull, however yesterday due to some unknown issue with an esc connection the FC caught fire, literally, @notveryprettyboy has the video to prove it

So I’m changing the FC but with a different thought train this time.

Ardupilot likes a vibration free environment and has the built in tools to display the vibration in all three axis to help eredicate them.

Last build I used an ‘all-in-one’ (AIO) Kakute F7 board and whilst it’s more compact to use an AIO I’m wondering how good the anti-vibration on the IMU is when although the board is mounted in ‘soft grommets’ there are 8 ESC power cables, 2 main battery cables and all the sensor wires connected directly to the FC and therefore transmitting vibrations to the board.
So the replacement will be a ‘power distribution board’ (PDB) handling all the battery and ESC heavy wiring with a flexi ribbon cable connecting the four motor signals and power signals to the FC. The other signals, RX, GPS etc… will connect using 30awg silicon wire with anti-stress loops.
This should allow the FC to absorb any frame vibrations from it’s four corner mounts and give smooth IMU (accel and gyro) values.
I’ll include foam for smoothness of the baro air pressure but in such a way as not to increase mechanical vibrations to it.

I’ll be using these Mateks units as the F405-STD is compatible with Ardupilot.

I’ll let you know how I get on. aiming to have it re-built for Big Club Meet 3-4 July 2021

4 Likes