A little build thread

Hello folks, I figure I’m going to end up with alot of questions during my build as it’s my first attempt so this thread seems a good idea… Not actually my idea but all the same… :joy:. :+1:.

Its going to be a 5 inch race/freestyle drone. Not quite sure exactly what it’ll end up as yet… Something along those lines though. I’ve got plenty on order just now for me to think about but still loads to go and then I’ll need to actually attempt a build :cry:.

The picture is what’s ordered so far… Feel free to give me heads up or notes on what to look for etc. Totally new to this.

Gary

4 Likes

Some good parts listed there :ok_hand:t2: look forward to the build progress :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not actually too sure what I’ve ordered that’s actually alright stuff and what’s not. I don’t know anyone that has a drone. Done ridiculous amount of reading but it seems a very deep rabbit hole! :joy:. Cheers mate. I’ll try keep it updated when things arrive and I try to figure it all out.

Good luck on your first build. Loads of good advice to be had on here from some really good quad builders so don’t be afraid to ask questions :+1:t2: Just no questions about binding to FRSky receivers :grimacing: :rofl:

:joy::joy::joy: Aw don’t say that… That’s what receiver I have!!! :joy: :+1:

@Earwig is your man for binding FRSky receivers :rofl:

Personally I’d recommend a link system like TBS Crossfire/Tracer, ImmersionRC Ghost or the new kid on the block Express LRS. :+1:t2:

All 3 of those systems mean you’ll not need to worry about range. Failsafe’s are a thing of the past :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Definitely one of the first upgrades if he doesn’t do it straight away :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, manged it once after a supreme struggle.
Tried to repeat it and failed.
The time and heartache saved is worth the expense of switching to another protocol. TBS Crossfire in my case.

But there’s no harm in learning from experience. Good luck. :wink:

1 Like

Heh. I’m on flysky myself. 9 drones so far and only one failsafe ever.
No issues with binding either. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Cathy When your fc arrives, plug it into betaflight via usb before soldering anything. Just in case its fucked and you have to return it

2 Likes

There you go, @Yith is the new king of FRSky. :crown: :grin:

1 Like

He just got you off the hook Jez :rofl:

Except he said FlySky not FRSky :rofl:

Oh bugger didn’t notice that Deano :man_facepalming: back on the hook Jez :fishing_pole_and_fish: lol

I thought he said frsky too. I reckon yith edited it

7d6a0653-e6af-47d0-8f69-2581ab43a983_text

Is flysky different then? :laughing:

The arse of FRSky is picking the correct firmware version and then making sure the TX and RX are on the same. Flashing the RX is a pain as you have to disconnect it from the quad to do it.

So yes, after a couple of iterations of that on the Nazgul with no joy I gave up. And since it was 2nd hand and I wasn’t sure I could trust the RX, which meant I was looking at getting a new unit anyway, it was a good enough excuse to switch.

CRSF took about 20 minutes to get working, including soldering time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might be able to answer some FrSky questions. I’ve been running FrSky gear since before the Taranis (TX09 with DJT module). Most D8 and D16 Receivers, original FrSky, third party, and SPI versions.

However, if questions about ACCESS crop up all you’ll see is a Nidge shaped blur heading into the sunset.

Followed by a Deano shaped blur close behind :rofl:

1 Like

Flysky? Software updates? I don’t think they do that sort of thing.