A little help with drone assist please

Good evening everyone, i have a question which will come across as a stupid one, my apologies.
I was looking at flying my mavic mini over redcar, near the south gare on the mouth of the river tees. Looking on drone assist, i see that is still under a red no fly zone. I knew the north side was due to, what i assume, is the power station.
Obviously that threw my plans, but on youtube there are several videos on the gare, taken by drone.
Am i missing something with drone assist that means i can fly, or is it as i suspect, a blanket no?
Again apologies, im new to drones, and drone assist. Last thing i want is to do something i shouldnt.

Mike

I am a few hundred miles frpm Redcar but I used our own Drone Scene to take a look at your area. The red area is described in the box that pops up when I mouse over it as:

HARTLEPOOL

Category
Restricted Area:
EGR446 HARTLEPOOL

Summary
Red zones are regulated high-risk areas and operation of your drone may be hazardous or prohibited.

Altitude
This piece of airspace is in effect between Surface and 2000ft MSL

Restricted Area
The flight of aircraft within this area is restricted in accordance with certain specified conditions. Danger, Prohibited and Restricted Areas are defined according to ICAO International Standards. Regulations governing the flight of drones vary from country-to-country, therefore these areas are included for your information. It is your responsibility to check the applicability of any local, state and/or national laws and regulations which may permit or otherwise restrict the operation of your drone in this area. Unless regulations in your region explicitly permit the operation of your drone in this area, we recommend you do not operate your drone here.

Details
Flight permitted for the purpose of landing at or taking off from the helicopter landing area at Hartlepool, with the permission of the person in charge of the installation and in accordance with any conditions to which that permission is subject. Flight at a height of not less than 1800 FT amsl whilst conducting an instrument approach procedure at Teesside International Airport. SI 1003/2016. Contact: CAA Airspace Regulation Operations, Tel: 01293-983880.

the Drone Scene map looks like this:

The purple irregular areas are Crown Estate land and foreshore, normally available to be used for drone flying unless, as in this case, there is a restriction from another authority in place. Like the CAA :slight_smile:

It’s not a blanket no, you need to get permission the number shown in the quote from Hartlepool ATC to conduct a flight in their restricted airspace. They will want to know when, where you intend to take off and fly and what you are flying. It is courtesy to let them know when you have arrived on site and when you have completed operations.

Drone Scene is the equal of Drone Assist and uses many of the same data sources. It also has features unique to itself such as - Crown Estate lands (drone friendly!) and , Nationl Trust, SSSIs and local council bylaws (not drone friendly!)

It is available in a limited form as a free resource, members can enjoy all the features (and also get Public L:liability Insurance at a vastly reduced rate)

Thank you very much @macspite for your detailed reply, thats brilliant. Very much appreciated!

Yes you are ;o)

As a member you get full access to Dronescene, the only airspace resource that comes with proper help as you have found out from Rob @macspite above.

2 Likes

Hi @Mikeboro :wave:t2:

A little help with drone assist please

Out of sheer curiosity, did you contact Drone Assist to ask them?

yes I’ve became a member and can see how much better dronescene is.
Its all a learning curve!
thanks

4 Likes

No I didn’t, as I stated above as a “newbie” I didn’t want to ask a stupid question, but thought the more experienced members could help.
thanks

2 Likes

No worries Mike, like I said, it was sheer curiosity :blush:

Not a problem :+1:
I still feel there’s a lot to learn, and obviously a red NFZ on drone assist as mentioned above isn’t necessarily a strict “no you cant fly here”. But I must say since unlocking the full features on dronescene it looks much better in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hi @Mikeboro did you manage to get down the Gare?

I had spoken to a local drone photographer and he pointed me towards the CAA operations but via the arops@caa.co.uk address. They sent me the link to Airspace Co-ordination and Obstacle Management (caa.co.uk) .

It’s not a quick process as my application took a month and a phone call to sort out but I have an exception for the zone now, and that lasts a year. The form they sent back has the contact for Hartlepool which I’ll need to call before I fly.

Hi Paul, sorry for the late response I’ve been away with work. No i havnt managed to get down there as of yet, mainly due to work commitments and also every time im home, the weathers been a bit crap!
Thanks for the info and the links. I’ll certainly look at doing that, as even if it takes a short while as yours did, having the exemption for a year would be worth it.
Thanks again! :+1:

1 Like