A2 CofC use post 31 December 2022 - Update from CAA

Further to: Class marks delayed? - CAA consultation on extension to Legacy and Transitional UAS provisions in the Open Category

Announced by CAA today:

Following the decision to extend the transitional period to 1 January 2026, holders of an A2 Certificate of Competence that references transition and legacy period dates of 31 December 2022, may continue to use these privileges until either the expiry date of the certificate, or the end of the new transition/legacy period (on 1 January 2026) whichever is sooner.

And:

Holders of an A2 Certificate of Competence that references transition and legacy period dates of 31 December 2022, may continue to use these privileges until either the expiry date of the certificate, or the end of the new transition/legacy period (on 01 January 2026) whichever is sooner. A re-issue of the certificate is not required.

Source: https://www.caa.co.uk/consumers/remotely-piloted-aircraft/our-role/updates-about-drones/

3 Likes

So any point doing? it as i am about to do the course.

Iā€™ve found mine not that useful for flying in A2 since I donā€™t have anything that fits in that weight bracket, but for md being able to fly in a1 transitional is a big plus. If you have something in that sub 500g category, so an original air, mini 3 with the extended battery, or smallish self builds, just having ā€˜deliberateā€™ oveflight as an exclusion adds a lot of options.

But isnā€™t all that out the window now in the new year?

1 Like

No, the opposite. It was all going to change come December 31st, but now isnā€™t*.

(*until they change their minds and change it all again)

Yes do the course,

if question asked recently I myself would have said wait until see what changes after 31st Dec 2022, now itā€™s put back to 1st Jan 2026 then yes if it suits your needs for legacy drones.

What of my understanding people who have bought the Mavic 3 classic can atm forget the CE certified which would have given you much more freedom then like my air 2s but now its the same rules but atm put a black line through the C markings on 3 classic :joy::joy::joy: and treat it as a legacy drone and get the A2 CoFC course done and your certificate will be valid to 1st January 2026.

The CE certified is also for the original Mavic 3 according to my recent firmware update, I know pretty pointless at the moment but I passed my A2 CofC last year anyway, and I donā€™t knowingley fly over people

That depends entirely on what you fly and where you fly @HEX5555

Enter your drone and flying scenarios here, and try both with and without A2. You may find OA16 is better suited for you, or you may find you donā€™t need anything at all.

Itā€™s all about you, nobody else can answer these questions for you.

Check it out:

2 Likes

Has there ever been ?

Donā€™t be confusing the CE mark with C classification.

My fridge is CE marked :wink:

C1 is what it said, Iā€™ll look it up tomorrow

Donā€™t give @clinkadink ideas on speed tests!

1 Like
  • Date: 2022.11.02

• Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0900

• Added support for EU C1 certification.

• Added support for RID in the United States.

A2 CofC for Ā£9.99

Be mad not to buy for this price.

Posted in black Friday deals.

Credit to @Airlessmean

https://greyarro.ws/t/black-friday-2022/54240/160?u=ziceman

Just make sure that includes the test.

I would have thought it would cost that for the test. Not sure.

I did the course last year when I got my first drone - the mavic air 2 - I did it initially because of the weight of the Air2 - I found the course I did exceptionally good. It covered far more than I needed, but it was well presented, and easy to understand. Although I learned more than I needed technically, it was good to have that extra information about how drones actually fly, and what the hazards areā€¦ Iā€™d recommend doing it even if you donā€™t legally need itā€¦

1 Like

The same can be said for a PSV/HGV course with regards driving :person_shrugging:

Have to agree here - anything that gives you a better understanding of the UAS your piloting is good plus the A2 gives you a bit more fexability on where you can fly with your drone. not too expensive with available discount and you can always wave your cert in ā€œKaren and Kenā€™sā€ face when they say the imortal words ā€œyou cant fly that here mateā€ā€¦

Nothing gives you a better understanding than flying, its like giving a 17 year old yoof a driving licence straight after passing their theory