Advice on buying a second hand DJI Mini 2

Evening all

Massive newbie here with their first questions.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t be looking at the DJI MINI 2 as my first camera drone?

Also what should I be checking/looking out for when buying second hand?

With the exception of this forum where is a good place to be looking for second hand drones?

Thanks

Mike

1 Like

No, it’s a very capable drone.

Crash damage, battery care.

Be sure you see it flying before parting with your cash.

Facebook might be easier for local purchases (again, so you can see it flying), eBay, Gumtree.

eBay will have a million and one Mini 2 drones for sale so be sure to use the location radiuses in your search to try and find something local.

Buying from an established GADC member is by far your best and safest option.

5 Likes

Calibrate gimbal and see if it passes test ie use DJI test procedure for a carefresh request after the initial period after purchase has expired. Its on their website if I recall.

1 Like

Thanks D0c but……

Oh god, I might be out of my depth here!

I do what and then what?

1 Like

Thanks PingSpike very helpful.

Fingers crossed something comes up……

1 Like

There’s one for sale in there currently: Dji MM2 complete.Boxed £380 [SOLD]

Have you had a look at the members map to see if there are any members near you? I’m sure someone local would be willing to accompany you on the purchase of your first drone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Follow this link to DJI carefresh

(its DJIs drone iinsurance) and read till you get to the verification procedure. Its what they use for remote proof that the camera and gimble on the drone are ok before they agree to cover you.

I would also YouTube the mini 2 to death before you buy. I have a mini 2
which is my 1st drone but was clued up on YT before I committed to it. I’ve had it since Feb 22 and just getting confident with it. It’s a great drone but am going to get the mini 3 once I find a deal of the century. :rofl:

I would also take @PingSpike learned advice and reach out to a local member for assistance if your not confident. Check out the CAA regulations and what you need to do to stay the right side of the law…its not difficult and google is your friend. Its a great hobby for me and fills my time in retirement… I would highly recommend it.:+1:

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it on my YT channel, it should be fine.

:smile::smile::smile: funny as

Yeah… soooooo… about that post I made earlier…

It comes with just one caveat.

If the “established GADC member” goes by the name of @clinkadink then I’d probably recommend this:

:running_man:t2:

1 Like

Ebay and Facebook can turn up some bargains, But they are also places where a lot of dodgy kit is sold and outright scams are perpetrated. Unless you are very good at reading between the lines and evaluating the condition of kit from photos before travelling to see - or buying remotely - steer clear.

The general rule is that a low price bargain will turn out to be a faulty moneypit.

Kit doesn’t come up in here that often but, when it does it is normally fairly and realistically priced. Vendors tend to have a good knowledge of the market and know what eBay items actually sell for rather than what prices are asked.

I have bought several times in here and have been extremely satisfied with the condition of the kit - matching the description - and believe I paid a fair price. The vendor, if paid by bank transfer or “gifted” by PayPal has no transaction or listing fees to be taken off the money they receive hence the selling price can be a little lower. No grasping middlemen to interfere financially with the deal.

A company that I and several others have dealt with with good results has been MPB. They are primarily photographic dealers, their descriptions of condition are spot on and the kit is very well packed and sent by reputable couriers. Their prices seem to be equivalent or perhaps even a little lower than eBay buy it now prices for the same kit.

They now do DJI kit, bothdrones and accessories and again, the prices are fair, the descriptions are good. Here is a link to the search for “Mini 2”

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/search?q=mini%202%20combo

2 Likes

Hi Mike.
I’m thinking about (well more than thinking about) selling my Mini 2.
It’s nearly new as it’s a Care Refresh replacement that I’ve had since August, and it’s done two flights of around 20 minutes each since then.
Comes with: RC-N1 controller, 1 Mini 2 battery, 3 Mini 1 batteries (lithium ion not lipo) last just as long but don’t give you the instant power of a lipo. As I don’t fly around like a looney, it doesn’t bother me.
Spare set of props, might be more. Prop holder from “Fly more” package, Charger for 3 Mini 1 batteries, cables, set of filters and hard case (peli type).
£375, no offers sorry as the drone is brand new (near enough). Would prefer collection so you can try it, West Mids area near M6/M6 Toll.

PM sent. I think.

Any locals that could would mind helping out?

Local to where? :thinking:

Did you have a look at the members map? You could @mention a few local names in here and see if they can help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooophs! Peterborough

Is there anything else that I should consider instead of the Mini 2?

What about the Mini 3? or another brand?

I think most would say hopefully I’m not wrong
If you have a budget that will let you go for the mini 3 go for it , not that I have one but I’ve seen some cracking images and videos from the mini 3 on here :+1:t2: if I was starting out again I would 100% just my opinion

If your a person who changes hobbies constantly a novice you will not know the difference between 2 and 3, Mini 2 gets everything you would need for a real budget price, don’t think because mini 3 could be double the price that your getting a basic drone your definitely not.

Mini 3 if your serious and you have the funds go for it!!

Something not mentioned so far, but worth considering.
The Mini 2 doesn’t have any obstacle detection.
So if you are a complete novice it may not give you the safety you need/want.