Advise on how to respond to this enquiry

Because of the follow up reply:

Hi Ade,

Apologies for the abruptness of the original message. I thought I had typed out more before copying and pasting the questioning from our media team and pressing send.

Carl shared your footage with us and we would like to use it in our showreel but need to confirm the flight was taken legally.

If possible could you provide low res watermarked versions of your pictures and video for us to review and we can come back to you with what we would like to use and how we could arrange to obtain full high resolutions.

In light of your response would it be possible to answer the previous questions to the best of your ability and confirm make & model of the drone used, flyer ID and operator ID, proof of your public liability insurance and any risk assessments and pre flight plans you may have done to satisfy our media and legal teams.

Many thanks.

XXXXX

A lot of those “things” are simply not needed for a (legal) hobbyist flight.

Let’s discuss remuneration before spending / wasting any time answering questions that won’t even be relevant if you’re not buying my media :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Completely agree, but equally I can’t be arsed with the constant back and forth which will get tiring for everyone involved. My time is worth more to me than money in many regards.

It’s also an opportunity to educate as clearly the media team or legal team (or both) are basing a lot of this off the old laws and the myths on the internet that law firms seem to think in regards to owning 50ft of airspace above your property which we’ve seen banded around before and know is utter crap and is not mentioned anywhere in Section 76 of the CAA act 1982.

It’s a fine line between between being difficult to work with, or being accommodating with my reply.

Reputations and all that isn’t it and who knows who. It could open doors. I’m old enough to know not to burn bridges.

They will have to wait for this evening anyway for a reply.

1 Like

Effing heck I’d be asking them if they interrogate everyone who drives to site about whether their journey was legal.

drone pre flight checklist

Thanks four the pointers Ade, I will most definitely take a look. The more information and better understanding on this subject for me the better. Hopefully allowing me a more relaxed flight and confidence in what I’m doing.
I will take your advice and get myself a cuppa, I’m in no rush! :coffee::+1::nerd_face:

Thanks @macspite , that all seems sound advice, although I do have a nagging question with regards to the flying of my drone, which is the mini 3 pro.
And that is: would it be advisable to obtain third party liability insurance. I think at this stage I will be more cautious than most and probably quite infrequent at first anyway, especially this time of year and living on the coast (ie almost always windy through the winter)

As Chris says PLI via FPVUK is very worthwhile and it is also good value. 5 million PLI for £20 membership is a bargain on its own. They also are consulted by the CAA and government bodies when it comes to legislation as well as providing good service and advice to their members.

If you have a new drone such as the Mini £ then it is also worthwhile insuring it against loss or damage. DJI care refresh seems to be well recomended.

Once a drone gets older and there are plenty of second hand examples on the market the cost of insurance against the cost of replacement gets to be more of a balancing act but certainly, in the first year or so of ownership, it could be a sensible move to insure the aircraft.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Robert, and thanks regards the care refresh from Dji Although I already took out the 2 year option after registering, so things should be under control if ever I have a mishap :man_facepalming: