Advise on how to respond to this enquiry

If you are flying legally, why respond to a crappy email other than…

Dear Man, Woman, Gender Neutral

I’m happy to announce that you having been added to my Junk list… :yawning_face:

Yours,
Clued up Drone Pilot…

3 Likes

Thought I’d keep the first response a little more formal

All the sub 250g are having way more fun than me… :disappointed_relieved:

I’m getting one…

3 Likes

I didn’t tag anyone, that’s too time consuming and ain’t got time for that. Just hashtags i’ll C&P as used by most brummy photographers. Pitfalls of social media innit.

1 Like

Tags, hashtags, mentions all the work of the devil (locations too)

Karen and Ken spend an age searching them, the clever ones just add them to a watch list, bring back points of view at least it was only 10 minutes once a week when we had to listen to Mr Angry and Mrs Whitehouse ;o)

1 Like

Right, I’ve gone with this, see if we get a response today.

Hi xxxx,

Thanks for your email.

The suggestion the flight was taken illegally without all of the required qualifications/permits and permissions is incorrect and I take such a statement unfondly. Hopefully it was just poorly worded. I appreciate drone laws are complicated and I don’t assume myself to be an expert in them either. They were updated on 31 December 2020 to be more simplified, but there are still a number of variables depending on drone/qualifications and operational authorisations, so it’s not always black and white.

I was flying within the provisions of the Drone Code and all relevant legislation as a recreational pilot taking pictures for my own purposes. I have an operator ID and a flyer ID issued by the CAA which is more than the bare minimum required.

Apologies if the tone of this email sounds off, but it’s important hobbyist photographers who just happen to have a flying camera in their kitbag are not given a bad name or accused of doing things illegally when they are well within their right to do so. Knowing the make, model and weight of the drone, clarifying Flyer/Operator ID and seeing evidence of public liability insurance has more than satisfied the BBC & ITV amongst other print based media that I’m not an irresponsible drone pilot when prior footage was captured by myself for editorial purposes.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

2 Likes

PS

You have no permission to use my images :fu:

5 Likes

I would not apologise for anything, makes them think they have you on the backfoot.

I would just ask them to clarify why they want this information from you, then based on their reply, either, do a deal for them to use your images or lay into them big time with the drone code and taking images in public for recreational purposes guidelines.

Or just tell them that they can get a reporting form from the CAA website if they really want to embarrass themselves.

4 Likes

They have a drone policy, looks very comprehensive to me, you could be screwed :scream:

Is it backed up by a byelaw ?

2 Likes

Of course it is (not).

1 Like

Awww. Schucks. Better delete my photos.

1 Like

Thanks to @firstadekit for posting this topic. I am totally new both on here and to drone flying/photography. I have found the initial content and the various comments from responders very useful, as I am still building my own confidence as to where and when to fly. I am using this site as a source of knowledge and reference. it would be nice to see the outcome of your issues, for further reference.
Thanks guys,

@IamTheMouse

4 Likes

Hi Michael,

There’s lots of content on this forums in regards TOAL permissions, VLOS, overflight and what not.

Check out the prime national trust and canal trust threads for more discussion. You might want to make a cuppa and get a snack before you start scrolling. :blush:

2 Likes

Michael,

In theory things are simple.

The CAA controls airspace and they say where you can and cannot fly.

Landowners do not own the airspace above their properties. They can request that you do not take off or land from their property or, with a properly constructed and valid byelaw, prohibit you from doing so. Many of the prohibition signs erected by councils have no validity in law.

It is polite and politic on our part not to fly so low as to overfly people or things so as to cause a nuisance or to invade privacy. The height and frequency over overflying is for your judgement.

Fly within the drone code and be aware of your rights and your responsibilities. Act confident when flying, you do have a right to be there. And carry some papers outlining those rights to counter the mass of misinformation that has been foisted on the public by the sensationalist press :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why would you do anything but ignore this?

Their written drone policy is actually entirely correct to what they can and do control.

They can tell you not to take a drone onto the site or control it from there.

A drone taking off from public land and overflying? Well, that’s an entirely different matter and their drone policy doesn’t cover it. Whether that’s intentional or not, well, I’m not sure about that based on the correspondence.

Their simple wording is entirely correct but all the questions they have put to you have nothing to do with it. Next time you reply, confirm.to them you followed their policy.

:point_up_2:t2: This. It’s the first line of defence when someone says “You can’t fly on my land!” You’re not “on their land” you are in the air above it.

Do they call out the Police observation helicopter when flies over their house?

1 Like

If he’s going to go through the whole national trust thread he’ll need more than a snack, possibly rations for a month! :grinning:

2 Likes