Aftermarket NFC and GPS trackers for finding lost drones

Hi @RichardBG and welcome to GADC, this has been discussed a few times, and indeed members have added trackers to their birds

https://greyarro.ws/search?q=tracker

I think personally on the newer DJI stuff with the advent of ‘Find my Drone’ its probably not necessary, in fact we have lots of tales of drones found after ditching for all manner of reasons.

2 Likes

Hi milkmanchris…
thanks for the reply. (I saw some of your drone videos - think you are located in the same part of the UK as I am … but OK I read some of the other comments re external drone GPS units as yet I am unsure. Only had my Mavic 2 Pro a couple of months and it has only been flown locally so I get a ‘feel’ for the flight controls. It’s never been beyond visual range though. This is maybe something I would consider when I get a bit more competent. Just wanted to know if anyone used them and if they had problems with their drone GPS/compass.
Thanks again.
Richard

1 Like

You should be fine as long as you:

1. Don’t sit the tracker on top of the existing GPS and compass as this could block/reduce the signal to the onboard systems or cause magnetic interference. In the original MP, these systems were located in the top of the nose of the quad just in front of the battery… am guessing the same location on the MP2. If you covered these, you could find yourself drifting in atti mode without GPS stabilisation, map location or RTH.
  2. Get a tracker that has a signal which does not conflict with the radio frequency of the controls 2.4/5.8GHz.
  3. Position the GPS tracker in a location on the quad that has low RF interference (away from the motors and transmission antennas).
  4. Test the tracker at a few meters before flying miles away.
1 Like

Hello GTMonster,
Thanks for the comments and yes - had noted that the inbuilt GPS was forward of the battery - so any external GPS would probably need mounting elsewhere. However on the Mavic 2 Pro that is awkward - don’t want to put it on an arm and cannot under-sling it because of the downward facing sensors. Haven’t committed to a purchase yet though - the jury is still out !!
Thanks again.
Richard.

1 Like

Dear all,

I’m just wondering what you all use (if at all) as a drone tracker - if the drone is lost. I don’t want to loose a £300.00 drone!

I know there is an on-board device, but that is only as good as the battery life in the drone itself.

I am looking at a TK102B Mini Real Time Car GPS Tracker. It looks to me to do the job.

Just curious really.

@JasonCP have moved your question to an existing thread which recently covered this subject.

1 Like

Hi,
Many thanks.
Jason C-P

Bit heavy.

I’ve got a reachfar RF-V16 and think it’s about 20g.

I used it when I first started flying as had the same worries as you.

It’s not long before you gain confidence in your quad and realise that adding a tracker is probably increasing the chances of something going wrong.

1 Like

I used the same thing, on my Phantom, no longer use because I keep my UAV in sight. Had no issues with the the tracker.

1 Like

Thanks Callum, I’ll look at buying one of these until I get the hang of flying.

1 Like

If your not in too much of a rush pm me your address and I’ll pop mine in the post for you in the next week or so.

I’ll not be using it again.

You will need to get a sim card for it.

O2 classic is probably best.

3 Likes

Hi Callum,
That would be great. Many, many thanks. I’ll PM you.

1 Like

Was jus having a think and feel free anyone to tell me if I’m wrong or that it’s already been thought of or discussed ,
You can buy really small trackers these days you put a sim card in as you might all know
Surely how about Velcro one to the drone on days maybe when you want to fly but not to sure about the wind or whatever sort of flight your doing , I’m sure one would not weigh no more than putting a couple of extra flashing lights on it or some landing gear , just a thought

Hi Kirky i have been looking at the apple airtag tonight i might buy one tomorrow just a thought for you matey. :+1:

1 Like

@Derek.RC are the air tag specific to apple or can you use them with android? Compatibility similar to like you could use iPods on windows systems even to it was an apple product

That’s exactly what I was thinking .
The only reason I thought gps tracker as the air tag has to be within a certain distance of an iOS phone device for it to ping as with the tracker you’ll see it all the time :crossed_fingers:t2::wink:

No you can’t

Not just iphone Kevin also work with android check spec though for your phone.

@Derek.RC @Kevinb look on Amazon the trackers you can get a gooden about 40 squids👍🏻

Argos out of stock but found currys have them 29 pounds Kirky.

1 Like