Age Range (poll)

Hey guys, :wave:t3: Talking to some friends the other day, and the age range topic came up on drone users. I’ll add that all drone users I’ve come across in the wild have been a few years older than me, I’m guessing it could be down to retirement and having more time and something to entertain them.
Thought I’d try a poll to find out if the Grey Arrows is really down to the colour of drones or hair.

Be honest :wink:

• Under 20
  • 20 - 30
  • 31 - 40
  • 41 - 50
  • 51 - 60
  • 61 and above

0 voters

3 Likes

I think its the same with most Hobbies, if you are younger than say about 40-50 you don’t have time or money for hobbies
There are more important things like Work, Mortgage, Wife/Girl or Boyfriend to sort out

There will be exceptions where the bank of mum and dad are funding the hobby but they will be in the minority

2 Likes

:+1:t4: I’m in the 30-40 bracket, have a beautiful wife and 3 children and the purpose of me buying my drone was to create memories from a different perspective rather than your day to day phone photos. (As good as these are) I Don’t get nearly as much time as I would like to capture the beautiful scenery around us but am hoping this will grow as I do in age. :ok_hand:

9 Likes

I’m 40 for another 6 weeks or so

4 Likes

I’m only 21, not sure how many people on this forum will be in that bracket but never the less still love the hobby and the forum even only for the short time I’ve been here!

Bought the drone for the main reason to travel all over the world (hopefully) with my Girlfriend and capture everything we see in a different perspective.

5 Likes

Travel all over the world hopefully or hopefully with your girlfriend :thinking::joy: nice to see a younger chap on board :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Travel all over the world hopefully! with or without her, I’m off anyway😂

1 Like

Where’s the old knackered and decrepit option :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve always had hobbies I am passionate about since a very young age, built my first crystal set when I was 6yrs old. Throughout my years those same hobbies have had peaks and troughs due mostly in part as higher priorities have taken precedence - work/career, family/kids, etc.

These days I think the idea of following a hobby might be considered as frivolous and an unnecessary self indulgent expense by many. I base this on my neighbours and others on my street. Maybe this is why we appear to be resented by some when we are enjoying our hobbies. In the case of flying it’s not the act of flying they object to but the fact that we are flying and they are not. I’ve experienced this falsely placed resentment from family, friends, and random onlookers, with any hobby considered “outside the norm” that I have pursued whether that be model flying, amateur radio, astronomy, electronics. At best I’ve been referred to as a geek, which I don’t object to, but I’ve also been called a social misfit whom lacks perception of reality as fun away from the couch and the TV is akin to witchcraft.

I will admit though, I may have circled our star 54 times but that should not in anyway deny me of my right to enjoy my childish pleasures. At least you’ll never hear me talk about how I watched some celebrity “has been” try to make a cake for an hour.

I kind of went off on one again, didn’t I.

Nidge

9 Likes

I have to agree with @Pathfinder, Luckily i am on the uphill climb to 70 now, but, have been blessed with two very talented children ,who are making their mark in life with their own very different careers.
Thankfully, I was in a financial position to be able to put them through University without leaving a trail of debts to both of them, for which (so they tell me) they are grateful for.
Now, is my time !, Having fully retired last year.
I fully intend to take every opportunity to enjoy the rest of my days spending my hard earned on seeing places that I have always dreamed of, and enjoying flying my drones, when I want to, not when someone else wants me to.
That is, providing the “wankers of this world” do not spoil it for the rest of us before that happens !.

5 Likes

Fair play to you Chris, and many others in the same boat of retirement, you’ve served your time now it’s time for you to enjoy life, get out there with your drone and make the most of it. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

That’s if the cruise co don’t confiscate it :joy:

2 Likes

It could be that the Wife could be seeing Iceland “on her own” !. LOL!.
If anyone up Newcastle way sees a “poor stranded” grey hair old fart wandering round the port on the 6th of may, with a drone case in his hand, chuck him a £1 for a cuppa !. :rofl:
It’s a ferking long walk back to Norfolk !.

3 Likes

I just had a thought about your mavic and the cruise ship take the props off put it in a polar pro Katana and tell the it ain’t a drone it’s my steady cam hide the props tho cover up logos and your reg no

2 Likes

Now, there’s a thought?.

1 Like

They can’t prove it’s not you can prove it is

2 Likes

do they do a carry case for it?

Spent the first 35 years of my life living instead of working, gadget freak and photographer (by trade) which is what made me first buy a P3A about 4 years ago.

16 years in current job, maxing out on the AVC’s on a final salary pension. Daughters still young (15 & 11), I’m counting down the days till retirement and then downsizing and fucking off to the sun (probably the Canaries or Southern Spain).

Life has been kind, manage 3 holidays a year and want for nothing, although am constantly being nagged for dressing like a homeless person.

Met some great chaps though here, just on my way out as we speak to meet 2 new ones.

3 Likes

sounds Chris as if the “pound for a cuppa” should be coming your way !

1 Like

Its a cunning ploy, I never get hassled by street canvassers/sellers/charity collectors.

3 Likes