Allowance for strobes on sub 250g drone - CAA request

Also, above states 500m from remote pilot, not 500m from any observer(s).

1 Like

@DeanoG60 it’s a discussion, if you not interested then just pass on by.

I’m allowed to join in on the discussion no?

1 Like

People have no common sense anymore which is why we’re in this mess.

I wish people were this anal about their car maintenance and driving safely.

1 Like

" Hopefully that will change over time when it becomes obvious licenced drone pilots aren’t crashing them out of the sky and killing people"
Oh dear you seem to expect sense from these people, I have the feeling that the rules will only tighten over time.
I’d love to be wrong but coming from a safety concious environment we see the rules becoming ever tighter and stricter BUT not based on any real life scenarios.

1 Like

If that does happen I see it coming from more councils trying to make blanket byelaws rather than the CAA, honestly.

They’ve (and we) have been saying that for 5 years now

Well it says 249g on the drone. Unlike the Mini and Mini 2 it really does weigh 249g, so anything added is over that. They really pushed it to limmit to fit the tech in.

Aint nobody carrying scales in their back pocket to check. The only peeps that carry accurate scales on a daily basis aint interested in our drones, and thats the way I like it ahuh ahuh

Dont need scales. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that anythink added to the basic Mini3 will take it over 250g ie ND filters, strobes skins etc. :joy:

1 Like

@ash2020 clips I have for the mini 2 fit on the back legs of the Mini 3. Not as secure, but I don’t think they will fall off. I’ll do a test flight with them in the garden later this week before trying anything where I actually need them.

I’ll get the drone weighed with them on at the weekend on my OHs salter scales.

Pretty sure the ND filters don’t take it over assuming the drone itself is bang on 249g as speculated here.

Weight: 0.75 g (each) DJI Mini 3 Pro ND Filters Set (ND 16/64/256) - DJI Mobile Online Store (United Kingdom)

2 Likes

Phil
You answered your own question there.
The UA observer must be situated alongside the remote pilot.

Not my ?, both were in reply to @D0c.Col question.

I humbly apologise. :grimacing: i have just learned that regardless of the weight of ND filters for the mini 3, unlike my mini 2 filters, they are fitted after removing the lens cover. So the net weight should be virtually the same, with or without the filter. :grimacing:

[quote=“D0c.Col, post:53, topic:47876”]

But they’d still need scales. Otherwise how would they have proof? Having a squint through a half closed eye and guessing won’t stand up in court.

They would only need reasonable grounds to confiscate drone prior to using an accurate measuring device after arrest. :laughing:

So what would be their reasonable grounds for confiscating an overweight drone unless they had some means of weighing it to come to that conclusion? Maybe it was carrying a suckling pig underneath, :pig2: . And maybe… I’m going to bed as I’ve been awake since 3am and find it difficult to argue with people as daft and sleepless as me.

1 Like

If you’re already at the point where they are going to confiscate your drone, then it’s highly likely the fact its 0.5g over the weight limit AFTER they confiscate it, is probably the least of your worries.

The initial infringement of flying in a location or in a manner that has drawn the attention of the police is probably of more concern.

1 Like

All what ifs and maybe’s

Put ya stobes on and go and fly, enjoy…,

You obviously haven’t seen any of the Auditor YTers that have been arrested and their drones taken as evidence who have subsequently had them returned along with substantual compensation mainly because they and their drones, complied with legislation.