Altitude & sensor failure = smashed lense 🤦‍♂️

Up in Scotland for a family wedding but have taken the opportunity to try capture several entries for the Birthday treasure hunt.

Whilst trying to capture a windfarm at Whitelee, (and failing due to fog) I decided to take the drone up to max altitude just in case I was really lucky and the turbines could be seen above the fog (and attain the much harder #21)… Alas it was soup at 120m.

Bringing the bird down quickly so I could head of to my next target. Usually it descends pretty slowly and then at about 10 feet or so, the sensors kick in and it slows to a snails pace for a smooth landing. Not this time… Shot downwards like a lead balloon and just as i managed to throttle back, it ‘lightly’ bounced off the deck next to my car. This was the unfortunate result…

Question: what can cause altitude and ground sensors to bomb out? Fog? Sometimes when I take off I get a max altitude warning when at about 10 feet, as I did initially with this flight but a quick land and re-launch seemed to resolve.

Do you get this on a clear day too? If so, you may have a sensor issue :thinking:

If you only get it on foggy days, simply turn off all the sensors :blush:

Sorry it failed you though, sounds like you were lucky not to have the whole drone in pieces :cry:

Did you use RTH or auto land ?

Just trying to narrow things down, although the max altitude issue is one I have never encountered

Neither… Just brought it back manually which is what I usually do. I’ll keep an eye on things :thinking:

I think I may have had this on a clear day

Cheers both

1 Like

I also figured out that the reason the lens cracked was due to the camera still having downwards :man_facepalming:

No input to your sensor issue but if you get a chance to go back, this hill is a great spot to take off. 360 deg views of the wind farm and surrounding lochs.

55.722795, -4.332829

Google Maps

Have you checked the flight logs for any changes in the sensor state, etc.?

Thanks chap! I’ll try and take a look on the way up the the Firth of Forth tomorrow. I hear there’s a suspension bridge up there with more than 3 towers :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve not learned how to do this yet… Will research, cheers