Another drone flyer on the way to court

If the pictured drone was the one flying it’s quite an expensive bit of kit with RTK.
Odd that someone who’s forked out for an Enterprise drone is breaking all the rules in a place he’s going to be found out.
Is there something we’re not being told?

Mate? he aint doing you or anyone else favours as the CAA wll eventually react in a serious manner. If a trasponder was down to a cheap price they would probably make them mandatory for all drones or ban drones altogethert to flying clubs airfields or council designated flying site(s)…:roll_eyes:

I asked a motorcycle dealer what would stop me buying a motorcycle for cash and driving it away when I haven’t passed my bike test. Answer was , they would let me until they’d seen the ‘bike’ category on my licence. So , make drone dealers do the Operator ID in store before they release the drone , and Flyer ID if it’s over 249g. ?

I suppose the work-around (for somebody without the correct license but who is prepared to pay money to buy a bike) is to buy the bike in a private sale.

Hear, hear! Well written! ‘They’ tear me part with frustration!

I do IT forensics, criminal and civil. That’s a wee bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one, there are ways to hide stuff without detroying hardware - but yes, it is much much harder than people think. How hard depends on your adversary, ranging from your mum to a nation states’ secret service.

1 Like

SkyOpaki, can’t tell you where my brother in law worked, but it was in a big donut shaped building somewhere near / in Cheltenham :wink::wink:

1 Like

I don’t suppose you can divulge any of that info here? Can you? :rofl:

Too late the already know :flushed:

2 Likes

Cheers mate , you have a point. Although my suggestion on flyer ID would start some part of comformity , getting dealers to enforce it would be a nightmare and many buy on-line anyway from all sorts of sources so not really practical in reality. Happy flying.

I totally agree. I said this before in another topic:

“With many drones available at cheap prices from toy stores, no way of enforcing users to register as owner and or flyer, and no chance of catching the culprits, we will see more and more of this happening from rogue users.”

Buying a drone should be like buying a car, motorbike, boat or plane. Registration required along with insurance, proof of having passed theory and practical exams and so on.

sounds a good idea how would it be policed and what would you do with the second hand drones.

There lies the problem. With road users breaking the law with ignoring red traffic lights, speeding, electric scooters etc because the police are over whelmed and in their words unless it involves murder or life threatening crimes response will be slow, in other words police just don’t have the man power to deal with road crime, how can they deal with air crime? Sadly, its going to get a lot worse until a solution is found which, sadly, means a lot of money in investment.

1 Like

Because that’s stopped illegal firearms ?

1 Like

I had to give my name and address when I bought a drone… hold on, it was on amazon, I guess they would want to know where to send it.

But does he make an ass of himself while doing it, that is the difference. Does he fly across a runway while jets are trying to take off, or over an active military base? If he is flying say over the edge of some MOD FRZ zone, or even fully on it, but nothing is actually happening, they will probably not give much of a shit about it. They probably already know who he is, I mean in this age of cameras and AI, they probably have all of us on a list somewhere. hell all they’d have to do is parse this website and they have a lot of the people who fly in the UK.

But the difference between most of us and the guy that got busted, is we try and stay out of the spotlight. He flew over a football match, which is retarded behaviour that draws attention. If you can’t use (or don’t know what is) common sense, then you shouldn’t be flying or driving or procreating. We have enough problems in the world without adding to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

To be fair he normally only flies out in the open and he’s not an arsehole, otherwise he wouldn’t be a mate. He’s generally considerate of other people and a genuinely nice bloke. He just doesn’t agree with having to register and thinks it’s nonsense. He showed me his photos last year of Lossiemouth, he didn’t even know why he shouldn’t have been flying there without getting permission, and yes he was well inside the FRZ. I showed him on Dronescene, he just shrugged his shoulders and said “oh well, I didn’t get caught, did I”
He will have some sort of incident at somepoint, he’s not really bothered about height restrictions or VLOS. Hopefully it’s just a crashed or lost drone.

Again, he plays stupid games and eventually he will win stupid prizes.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think the vast majority of people who fly FPV in this country are registered, nor in most other countries in the world. I also think you shouldn’t have to register unless you are flying commercial. But the Flyer ID was a good idea. The Operator ID is just a stealth tax for the CAA to line their pockets, but what’s new. This country is full of organisations that stealth tax the citizens.

So if he uses common sense and doesn’t cause a massive issue, I have no problems with that. Same as the many people who fly at Bandos that are unlikely to be registered. It is up to the individual. I only registered as operator in the last month. been flying for a year without it and never seen a copper anywhere I’ve flown, in fact haven’t seen many plod full stop. My mate says they’re having a recruitment issue and numbers are already low. Unless you are making a complete arse of yourself, you will probably never see one while flying.

Serves him right and anyone else that feels they are above the law, The more idiots that are caught has to be a good thing for the vast majority of us that follow the regulations and comply with the laws that are in place. Those who deliberately flout responsibility and compliance are ruining the hobby and deserve everything the law can throw at them !

3 Likes