Anthem of the Seas

Hi all.
I spent a pleasant hour or more on Calshot beach, on the Solent a few days ago and was lucky to have the Royal Carribean’s “Anthem of the Seas” sail past departing Southampton.

To be honest, I was nervously out over water by 500m keeping 50+m high to avoid annoying public on beach etc and still some way from the ship, so despite its collosal size (see it compared to the red funnel ferry following it), I have had to zoom the footage in, which is not great.
But, I have had fun making this !

I’m still very new to this lark having come to the Mavic Air from an Immersion RC Vortex 250 Pro racing drone ! Quite a different beast!

If I have learnt anything so far…
Picking the right ND filter and changing it as the light levels change takes some remembering.
My footage has needed brightening up in premiere.
Also, I need to spend some time planning some shots not just flying and making it up “on the fly”.
I found I had quite a lot of nice but very short sections of footage, I need to remember to hold a shot or direction of travel for longer before changing. I also need to change the sensitivity of my yaw and gimbal pitch I think to get smoother pans.
All that said, even with a collection of fairly rough n ready clips, I still managed to throw something together that I’m quite happy with. More thanks to work in premiere than on the sticks!

Also, any reccomendations for non subscription royalty free music, other than youtube itself?

6 Likes

Funnily enough I was at Calshot today thinking of flying but there was far to many people around to fly.

I’ve taken off from along the beach a little where it can be quiet … and then walked to the castle as I’ve flown.

1 Like

Yes, it was a weekday when I went, still quite a lot of people around mid afternoon. so I walked along to the old castle / hangars end of the spit first, no options along there really. I then walked back beyond the far end of the beach huts along the beach about half way to Letrells Tower and flew from there. It was about 1830 then, few people about mainly sat outside their huts having meals. Only one couple wandered along towards me and I had landed then anyway.
I took off and went straight up to 50m then out to sea to avoid being within 50m above or laterally from the beach huts etc to avoid annoyance and stick to the rules.

Good drills :+1:

1 Like