Any good areas around Bucks, Berks, or Oxon?

Hi everyone,

I’m new to drones and need a good place to get some flight time in. I have a DJI Air3 and am really struggling with where to fly it. Where I live it is heavily built up so not possible under my current rating of 150m from everywhere…

I am studying for the A2 certification and completed all of the course but need to get some air time in.

For my own purposes as well I find it difficult to go into busy areas so I would like to find somewhere that is quiet and away from people and heavy traffic and more natural.

Unfortunately I have already crashed the thing as I have been trying to get flight time in by using my kitchen and got too close to a cupboard with obstacle avoidance turned off. That was an unfortunate right-off of 4x propellers :frowning:

I initially tried the entrance to the Aston Rowant reserve as there is a layby where I pulled up at 1am in the morning as I know it is quiet then. Unfortunately a van busted in on me so naturally I had to land and get into the car and lock the doors in case I got hassled.

I moved over to Maidensgrove which was fine but later checking the map I was really close to some buildings which where shielded by trees. Then I moved on to Bix Bottom and the bridleway towards the Warburg reserve and parked up in front of the old church ruin. Technically I was on public ground but this area would not be very good during the daytime as there are visitors who come down to go to the reserve and various farms around and their vehicles.
Also the church is either National Trust or Heritage so I’m not sure how close I can get to that? I actually got right above it and next to which I think might not have been following “the rules”??

At the moment I can see potentially Amersham or Cookham being spots listed on the Dronescene website but when are these areas actually devoid of people unless you go at 1am or after?

Really struggling and not sure if it was even worth buying a drone now or just using outside of the country in places that are more drone friendly or have more space like mountainous areas etc…

Maybe someone can suggest something?

Many thanks.

There is no requirement for any flight time for the A2CofC

Hi
Try & avoid flying indoors as your gps signal will be very weak or if at all which in turn the drone is in Atti mode, which takes much experience to control, I also made this mistake when I first got a drone & see it crash into the walls / blinds etc,
Try & find yourself a nice open spot, somewhere where you feel at ease & not under pressure so you can relax a bit & build up your flying confidence, then when you’ve done that you can move on from there,
Also grey arrows drone scene will be your best friend on locations to fly & or have all ready been flown by members, which is noted in some of the listed locations times when busy or not busy etc,
Don’t give up & I’m sure the persistence will pay off. Good luck

1 Like

I know, but I was recommended 4 - 6 hours before signing the “self deceleration” form

Many thanks.

It’s finding those wide open spaces without anyone around that is the problem. As you said I need to feel comfortable and not pressured and unfortunately I suffer from hyper anxiety anyway due to my condition meaning that it’s difficult for me to get around anyway.

As I’m part of the BBOWT as I volunteer for them, I was hoping that I might be able to collaborate with them by doing site surveys etc… for their purposes and making videos of various reserves and work parties. That seems to have been shot down too.

It is really difficult :frowning:

1 Like

I know that only to well so I can relate,

There is plenty of wide open spaces, I can’t comment on if there’s any people or if it’s going to be busy mind you, as said in the post above

Will help you immensely, also the A2cofc of which I just done mine after putting it off for 2 years & passed with a 100%, it was a piece of cake & will open up the door for you a bit more on where you can fly.

1 Like

There is plenty of wide open spaces, I can’t comment on if there’s any people or if it’s going to be busy mind you, as said in the post above

Will help you immensely, also the A2cofc of which I just done mine after putting it off for 2 years & passed with a 100%, it was a piece of cake & will open up the door for you a bit more on where you can fly.

I don’t know, aside from Maidensgrove I am really not sure of any open space that is public?

The above screenshot is the area where I am looking at. I know the Spade Oak reserve in Marlow area but there are people there and especially fishing so no way would they give me permission

I think the hills over in Amersham that I mentioned above might be my best bet though it is way too close to town for my liking

Maybe I might get some air time when I visit Scotland next month as I will be up at the Highlands and then the Cairngorns National Park on the way back.

This was my maiden flight:

Maybe I’ll just stick to the church area at 1am and take my losses as it is the most comfortable out of everywhere…

Why not go for for a mini. It will help reduce anxiety levels

As long as you stick to the drone code your good to go.

Why not go for for a mini. It will help reduce anxiety levels

I don’t know about that? I do photography as well and use DSLR’s. Again I pretty much only use them to do nightscapes or astrophotography unless I’m at one of my reserves where I can use them during the daylight.

It really is difficult for me to get around as there is so much traffic and so many people in a dense environment and it is unfortunately overwhelming.
For myself it is quite bad, like I mentioned part of my condition, as many years ago I had an anxiety attack on the way to work one day and for the next 10 years couldn’t leave my house.

Even with the Mini I wouldn’t know where to fly it as I am looking for an area like this:

It doesn’t exist unfortunately so I am completely lost…

Here’s a place in Amersham wide open hills & apparently not crowded & easy to park,

1 Like

As long as you stick to the drone code your good to go.

Hmm… I guess that might be the way to look at things! Though it seems one needs to get permission from anywhere unless it’s public land and finding a suitable area is what I’m having difficulties with.

You have so many rules, then sub rules then different places that have their rules and this all before checking the noatms and other no fly zones…

1 Like

Here’s a place in Amersham wide open hills & apparently not crowded & easy to park,

Thanks!! That was on the map I posted and was checking out.

Hopefully there will be a clear day where I can go early in the morning and find out for myself.

I really appreciate that one :wink:

1 Like

The reason I suggested a Mini 4 Pro is it has far less restrictions than the Air because it weighs less than 250 grams. You are not limited by distance from people or buildings so anxiety levels would be reduced.

It has a good camera although only a single rather than the dual of the Air but at least you would be more free to fly in areas that the Air is restricted in and you wouldn’t necessarily need such wide open spaces, just a park would do.

As you are new to drones the Mini is far more suitable.

1 Like

I understood this and appreciate that it would be for the case for most people.

I am a little different as I have ASD, so generally speaking I need to find areas that are clear of people or business.

The reserves I volunteer at and visit would be brilliant places but unfortunately you need permission and I just got shot down recently in addition.

The reason they are so good is that they are far away from anyone and anywhere but are all governed and run by entities.

With a Mini sure there are less restrictions but my own personal restrictions I still would not be able to fly where I felt comfortable or wanted to, that can’t be helped :frowning:

It’s a difficult thing for me… however, the recent trip up to Scotland next month might prove to be more fruitefull as I will go up to the Highlands and the Cairngorns National Park on the way back.

But like said, I’m a little restricted in myself due to circumstances :slight_smile: